Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Taste of Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids, Michigan, July 24 & 25, 2009

Fire dept is cracking down. Just got this email. Of course KCBS rules require this as well so don't know what the big deal is.

wanted to remind all of you now that Grand Rapids Fire Department Regulations require that EVERY TEAM MUST HAVE A FIRE EXTINGUISHER in their space. Please make sure that you bring one with you on Friday.

The FD was checking for fire extinguishers at Waterloo. I think that was the first time we were checked.

The FD was checking for fire extinguishers at Waterloo. I think that was the first time we were checked.

Just an FYI...last year they were even checking tags and dates on the extinguishers as well as ratings...ours was just over the time date, they let it slide with a warning, but heard they gave some other teams a real hard time.

BBQ ASAP will be smokin in Grand Rapids. The fire marshall wants your fire extinguisher to be purchased within the past 12 months. Looks like I'm going shopping.

If you happen to buy a new one from a big box store... Make sure you save your receipt. Their products tend to be a little stale, so your receipt will prove it's new. Last year, I just purchased 2 new one's and they gave me a hard time, because the year that was stamped on the bottom of the extinguisher was the prior year.... I ended up going to a professional and getting it tagged. The new tagged one passed with flying colors in Rio Rancho, which is the most anal contest I have ever been at.

Does Big Moe still terrorize everyone up there? Last time I was there he gave us all the finger while he was getting his trophy, kind of like Brock Lesner.

Ahhh, Big Moe. 2002, it was my second ever contest. That was unbelieveable that whole mess. bet I never see someone flipping off the entire crowd ever again.

BTW, he still comes and shows up at 7:30 am. Last year, Merl paid him a visit to inspect. Might have to make that request again.

Man, 2002. Remember the cherries that Grandpa Cheese had and I think bbqBob was going to go rolling into that lake if he had anymore of those things...

Man, 2002. Remember the cherries that Grandpa Cheese had and I think bbqBob was going to go rolling into that lake if he had anymore of those things...
And he was my helper and did my chicken that year. Now I understand.

But it was a great year meeting both of you for the first time.

Are you kidding Ford? I was your neighbor and had a front row seat for that whole cherry deal.. I did end up confiscating those cherries on him, so he wouldn't end up in the lake... I mean, I felt obligated to take them on him... :twisted:

Good luck to all you guys and gals down in Grand Rapids. I'll be watching for the results. Wish I could get down there.... but I'm still trying to unpack from last weekend.

portable generators - gas can warning

If you are bringing a portable generator make sure you have a safety gas can - metal - costs $32.99 at Tractor Supply. They warned me that this year if I had a plastic can I'd not be allowed to use it and would not be able to sue the generator until I showed them a safety can.

I'll be up there early Sat morning to say hi to those folks I know, and hopefully meet some new friends.

Ford,
I can help you out, too, if you need it. I got some great practice with you at the Winter Thaw this past spring. I'll check in with you when I get there.

-scott

I'll be up there early Sat morning to say hi to those folks I know, and hopefully meet some new friends.

Ford,
I can help you out, too, if you need it. I got some great practice with you at the Winter Thaw this past spring. I'll check in with you when I get there.

-scott
Looking forward to seeing you again. Carol will be there but she's not a great "runner" so if you're available from noon to 1:30 and can run boxes for me that would be great.

Back