Talk cajun to me

You're Welcome!

Cayenne,

Thanks for the testimonial and reference. I just ordered the book and should be here Thursday. I watched you video and enjoyed it.

Thanks,

Robert

Oh cool!!

Glad I could help!!

LOL...glad the video didn't scare you off, haha...that's an older one.

I really need to start doing those again. I likely will with the new brew system I just got and the new smoker I'm about to order.

After all the, I'll be too broke to do much else, but stay home, video and cook/brew!!

Anyway....holler at any time if you have any questions!!

cayenne

Paul

I love the Prudhomme Family Cookbook

The Prudhomme Family Cookbook: Old-Time Louisiana Recipes by the Eleven Prudhomme Brothers and Sisters and Chef Paul Prudhomme https://a.co/d/dzHhMMu

I live in the New Orleans area....and two things are mainstays in my kitchen:
Tony Chacherie's and Crystal Hot sauce (cayenne hot sauce).

That being said, yes...Tony's is HIGH salt. I basically use it in lieu of salt in anything I cook.

As others have said, it really isn't comparable to a "rub"...although if you go in with the mindset that is IS salt, then you could use it like you would salt in a rub....and maybe just add a bit of this/that to it.

I've read other's postings of cajun seasoning blends and they all seem about spot on.

Generally salt, cayenne, thyme, maybe a bit of oregano, black pepper, garlic powder...etc.

You could use any of these.

One thing I would HIGHLY recommend, is get Paul Prudhome's first cook book:

https://www.amazon.com/Chef-Paul-Prudhommes-Louisiana-Kitchen/dp/0688028470

In this one, he lists out ALL of his seasoning blends for each dish, this was before he tried to make a buck off selling seasoning blends and quit putting them in his subsequent books and TV shows.

I have a first edition copy of this I got when young...at LSU. I don't know if there were revisions, BUT one thing I can say...when I do his recipes, I cut the cayenne down to about half.

I like VERY spicy and peppery food, but I think there are some typos in there that add too much even for me. Anyway, do look at the cayenne amounts before following recipe...they may have revised this.

This, to me, is the definitive southern Louisiana cookbook....jambalaya, red beans, chicken and sausage gumbo....etc.

The only other caveat to this is don't do a roux his way, unless you want to make up new 4-letter words....he does it over high high heat...and I burn it every time trying his way.

I actually did a video of my chicken and sausage gumbo which is based VERY heavily on his recipe, and I show how I do the roux, if you're at all interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hufnMolvF9s

Anyway...again, get this cookbook. Look at the seasoning blends he does in the recipes and you can adapt them to almost ANY Louisiana type dish you wish to make.

Hope this helps!!

I love the Prudhomme Family Cookbook

The Prudhomme Family Cookbook: Old-Time Louisiana Recipes by the Eleven Prudhomme Brothers and Sisters and Chef Paul Prudhomme https://a.co/d/dzHhMMu

I actually got a. copy of that when it came out....SIGNED by the whole family, right before a couple of them passed away.

I did turducken out of that one....whew...took like 3 days to learn to debone the birds...make the 3x stocks, the 3x stuffings...etc.

Took a lot of effort, but WHEW...it turned out good!!

And I am NOT a turkey fan in general...not roasted/baked that is....

C

Cayenne,

Thanks for the testimonial and reference. I just ordered the book and should be here Thursday. I watched you video and enjoyed it.

Thanks,

Robert

Make the shrimp etouffee with a dark roux. No talking when I make it for friends, too busy eating.

Hey Doc, I never tell anyone "you're doing it wrong" because there is no right and wrong in cooking. However, I would say that your mix less the cumin is spot on. That's how we'd do it at home.

Awesome. Thank you! The Cumin was an afterthought after using that rub for a while. It adds just a touch of earthiness to the whole affair.

I'm more of a savory guy than anything else, so...your mileage may vary.

Appreciate the good words, though!

Cayenne, really enjoyed your gumbo video but noticed no okra or file in it.

It's ok with no okra or file....

Cayenne, really enjoyed your gumbo video but noticed no okra or file in it.

Yeah....for chicken and andouille sausage gumbos...it's normal to not use either okra or file ....

Those go primarily into any seafood gumbo.

You occasionally will see okra in chicken and sausage, but usually not from what I see down here.

But hey..gumbo is like chili....EVERY family has their own twist on the recipe.....make it your own!!!

;)

HTH,

cayenne

Cayenne,

I am from NOLA as well. In my family we only use okra with seafood and file' with meat. We don't mix meat and seafood (e.g. shrimp and sausage). I also make my roux darker for stronger meats (e.g. etouffee' > seafood > chicken > duck).

picture.php

Great!!

Cayenne,

I am from NOLA as well. In my family we only use okra with seafood and file' with meat. We don't mix meat and seafood (e.g. shrimp and sausage). I also make my roux darker for stronger meats (e.g. etouffee' > seafood > chicken > duck).

picture.php

Hey, I really like that display of roux colors!!

Interesting...so, you don't use any andouille in your seafood gumbo?

Did you see my video (linked earlier) where I show how dark I did my roux?

I'm not an original "native" to LA...but my friends that are assure me I'm now a "naturalized cajun"....I can make groceries with the best of them, haha.

Anyway, very interesting.

Hope our paths cross at some point and down here...that's always a high probability!!

C

Cayenne,

I would never put andouille in a seafood gumbo. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I would never do it. When I make seafood gumbo, I make crab stock, I make shrimp stock, and I add oyster liquor. I want it to taste like all of that expensive seafood. IMHO, andouille or smoked sausage overpowers the seafood flavor. I paid good $$ for those crabs and shrimp. Andouille is relatively cheap.

I also only use okra with seafood and file' with meat. Again, that's just me. There are many "celebrity" chefs tha put seafood, meat, okra, file' and all kinds of other cr@p in a pot. They make more $$$ than I do, but I have personal standards.

When I make duck and andouille gumbo, I render duck fat to make the roux. I even save skins from chicken thighs to render fat for chicken and sausage gumbo.

Yum!

Cayenne,

I would never put andouille in a seafood gumbo. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I would never do it. When I make seafood gumbo, I make crab stock, I make shrimp stock, and I add oyster liquor. I want it to taste like all of that expensive seafood. IMHO, andouille or smoked sausage overpowers the seafood flavor. I paid good $$ for those crabs and shrimp. Andouille is relatively cheap.

I also only use okra with seafood and file' with meat. Again, that's just me. There are many "celebrity" chefs tha put seafood, meat, okra, file' and all kinds of other cr@p in a pot. They make more $$$ than I do, but I have personal standards.

When I make duck and andouille gumbo, I render duck fat to make the roux. I even save skins from chicken thighs to render fat for chicken and sausage gumbo.

Sounds good....

Err....again, what time is dinner this weekend....?

;)

cayenne

Back