THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
George
Did my first ever pizza on my new kettle mod yesterday and it was a farking disaster. The pie was too big for the peel, hung over the sides, and of course, did not slide off the peel as intended. The mess that stayed on the stone tasted good but was definitely a franken pie. Too disgusted to take a picture.
Today was my second pie and it was farking sublime.
The mod worked well each time, the chef/cook did not. LOL. I'm happy with the carousel mod but will need to work on the fire. It took some 7-8 minutes to get this pie done and while it was done, I would like more color on my crust.
All in all, a success. Instead of some 5 pies a year from the shop I think we're in for a few pies a month, at least.

Attachments

Pizza isn't as easy as those with experience make it look. I bought an ooni last month and out of the six pies I've made so far; two were disasters that got tossed, two were good but not great, and two were outstanding. Every time I cook with it I learn something else the hard way.

But...that's kinda the fun in all this isn't it? :grin:

Sprinkle some corn meal on the peel, then put the pizza on it. Also sprinkle some corn meal on the stone just before you slide the pizza on it. The corn meal acts like little ball bearings!

Sprinkle some corn meal on the peel, then put the pizza on it. Also sprinkle some corn meal on the stone just before you slide the pizza on it. The corn meal acts like little ball bearings!
Yep. Did that both times only more aggressively the second. Also the pie not hanging off the peel (being over sized) helped. The second one slid off effortlessly. Lesson: keep the pie the right size for the peel and don't spare the cornmeal.
Question: do any of you use wood pellets instead of splits/chunks and if so, do they burn faster and hotter than the splits?

Yep. Did that both times only more aggressively the second. Also the pie not hanging off the peel (being over sized) helped. The second one slid off effortlessly. Lesson: keep the pie the right size for the peel and don't spare the cornmeal.
Question: do any of you use wood pellets instead of splits/chunks and if so, do they burn faster and hotter than the splits?
Not sure how you are adding wood chunks.
For me, I found I needed to add chunks before each pie. To keep temps up and flame :thumb: I modified another grate with gaps to add wood chunks and a curved stop at the back to keep me from pushing pies off the back edge while trying to rotate/remove :doh:
Just a thought.
I've found using parchment paper to build the pies on, with cornmeal. Slide the parchment/pie onto the stone. After a minute or so, pick up the edge of the pie and remove the parchment paper. The edges of the parchment do burn so trim close to the pie. I leave two longer spots for paper handles. If that makes sense.
Hope that helps

Attachments

You might try pizza screens. They really do help you size your pie correctly and help with the in and out until you get the hang of it.

Not sure how you are adding wood chunks.
For me, I found I needed to add chunks before each pie. To keep temps up and flame :thumb: I modified another grate with gaps to add wood chunks and a curved stop at the back to keep me from pushing pies off the back edge while trying to rotate/remove :doh:
Just a thought.
I've found using parchment paper to build the pies on, with cornmeal. Slide the parchment/pie onto the stone. After a minute or so, pick up the edge of the pie and remove the parchment paper. The edges of the parchment do burn so trim close to the pie. I leave two longer spots for paper handles. If that makes sense.
Hope that helps
Nice mod on the grate though unnecessary on the Weber Kettle. I just turn the grate over and the gate stays open at the far end. (I saw this on a Ace Hardware kettle pizza demonstration.) In my case, I can rotate the modified lid so the opening is at the far end and feed the fire without lifting the lid. I have not used this method yet in that the pies I'm making are one at a time and experimental but when I do more than one I certainly will.

I use parchment under the pie...after the launch...just easily pulled away.

I have a metal peel...and tried about every method. I think a wooden peel may give better results.

I find wood pellets take forever to get up to temp. Definitely not hotter nor faster than splits. If you have an hour to kill before cooking the pie it may be sufficient.

But it's like cooking with butter... When you think you put in enough it should be twice the amount.

Back