Supper Fat Baby Back’s 3,2,1 Method Pellet Smoker

How do you get a charcoal pit to burn for upwards of 3hrs........or smokers for that matter, what you guys putting in there

i'm a learner in this way of cooking

I quit wrapping baby backs, I get better results with this method.
2 hours on the Smoke setting
4 hours @225
Spritz every 1/2 hour with
3 TBS brown sugar
1/2C apple juice
1/2C apple cider vinegar
Put BBQ sauce on the last 1/2 hour.

These are fall off the bone, cut back sooner if desired;

What temp are you at when your doing 2 hours on the Smoke setting?

Does not look like you have a pellet smoker ?

Thank you for your above post.

You got me thinking about the foil.

Thank you.

Since this is your first time smoking ribs and you have 2 racks, you might want to try wrapping one rack and leaving the other rack unwrapped. They should take about the same amount of time either way and this would allow you to do a side by side comparison to decide which way tastes better to you.

Since this is your first time smoking ribs and you have 2 racks, you might want to try wrapping one rack and leaving the other rack unwrapped. They should take about the same amount of time either way and this would allow you to do a side by side comparison to decide which way tastes better to you.

Hi Chad,

That a good idea. What do you think for times and temps for each?

Hi Chad,

That a good idea. What do you think for times and temps for each?

I would follow the advice given earlier in this thread (4-5 hours at 225-250 and checking for tenderness with a toothpick seems popular). Try not to worry too much. Good luck, have fun and enjoy the good food! :thumb:

I don't have a pellet grill, but have learned the hard way. I cooked so many ribs till they were almost charcoal trying to do the 3-2-1 method and not knowing how to check for doneness. That is for full side ribs, and at 225 I think. I cook around 275-300, side ribs are done sometimes at about 3.5 hrs and side ribs at around 3 hrs. I'm not good at probing. Always leaves me with questions. I do the bend test. If you grab that thing half way (or less) along the rack and watch the bend, if it is starting to break apart and flop down to nearly 90 degress, you're done (or overdone). I'm just an amateur, but that's what I do do and been having some real good ribs lately. Keep in mind this is in a drum smoker, not a pellet grill, so your mileage may vary.

I would follow the advice given earlier in this thread (4-5 hours at 225-250 and checking for tenderness with a toothpick seems popular). Try not to worry too much. Good luck, have fun and enjoy the good food! :thumb:

Thank you.

I don't have a pellet grill, but have learned the hard way. I cooked so many ribs till they were almost charcoal trying to do the 3-2-1 method and not knowing how to check for doneness. That is for full side ribs, and at 225 I think. I cook around 275-300, side ribs are done sometimes at about 3.5 hrs and side ribs at around 3 hrs. I'm not good at probing. Always leaves me with questions. I do the bend test. If you grab that thing half way (or less) along the rack and watch the bend, if it is starting to break apart and flop down to nearly 90 degress, you're done (or overdone). I'm just an amateur, but that's what I do do and been having some real good ribs lately. Keep in mind this is in a drum smoker, not a pellet grill, so your mileage may vary.

Thank you.

When reading the replies to questions like this, please take into consideration the amount of posts, and time on the forum from the members offering advice. I would suggest you weigh the replies from the long time members heavier than the replies from the newcomers. No offense to any of the new members, but I see some jacked up advice being handed out here lately. Yes, Mustard is for bologna sammiches. If you want to try a neat slather on your ribs, get yourself a bottle of Texas Pete's hot sauce, or something similar, use this for your slather, or just go nekkid.

3 to 3.5 hours at 275-300F nekkid, no foil no spritz. Every time you open your pit and spritz, you add another ~20 minutes to your cook time due to loss of low pressure cooking environment and cool down of the surface of the meat due to spritz. With loin back ribs in particular, it's better to use the toothpick test over the bend test to check for "done".

Once you've mastered cooking ribs nekkid, then you can experiment with foil and spritzing etc.

Cooking loin back ribs 3-2-1 for 6 freaking hours is sheer insanity.

What temp are you at when your doing 2 hours on the Smoke setting?

Does not look like you have a pellet smoker ?

Thank you for your above post.
145-160F
Traeger Texas 075 Pellet Grill

When I buy BB's, I try to get 3# racks so I can duplicate my cooks. That being said, on a pellet grill you're already at a disadvantage with the smoke profile. Wrapping them just makes them mushy and lack even more smoke flavor. All my BB's take right at 5.5 hrs. 225* the whole time. No wrap. Couple spritzes throughout the cook. Sauce the last 30 min.

Back