Straight bones on ribs?

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
I always heard the big time comp guys talking about finding the ribs with straight bones. Maybe in my neck of the woods something is different, but I have never looked at any racks of ribs at the store with straight bones. Also, I know none of the racks that I've cooked have had straight bones on them (not even remotely close to straight). What gives?

The bones aren't straight, as in perpendicular to the length of the rack. Spray your cutting board, flip the ribs bone side up, then align your knife with the angle of the bone with equal meat on both sides. Now you will get straight cuts which make the bones look straight.

XQL79hg.jpg

6nXcrqW.jpg

Spare ribs are usually pretty straight. Maybe you're thinking about baby backs?

Here's a random pic of some ribs I cooked. Most are pretty straight I think, or could have been if I was trying

HiCRD20.jpg

The bones aren't straight, as in perpendicular to the length of the rack. Spray your cutting board, flip the ribs bone side up, then align your knife with the angle of the bone with equal meat on both sides. Now you will get straight cuts which make the bones look straight.

This makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Spare ribs are usually pretty straight. Maybe you're thinking about baby backs?

No I only have cooked spares. I guess you have had more luck finding them than I have.

I will try to find racks with straight bones when I am doing comps, and that is very difficult to do. They tend to be straighter toward the shoulder end than the tapered end. I can usually get 2-3 straight enough from one rack, then have to hope that the other racks are good, or end up doing the "angled to make it look straight" cut.

Back