Steak Tacos and an Abundance of Cherry Tomatoes

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Dinners from last nite and tonite.

Steak Tacos yesterday. I made a quick marinade for London Broil based on a Rick Bayless recipe: Garlic, Onion, Lime Juice, Cumin, S&P. Blitz in a food processor and apply as a paste to the steak for an hour or so. Then onto the grill.

Not sure why the steak looks terrible (could be the lime juice), but it was quite tender and very rare -

6cI9g8j.jpg

Ready to eat. Fresh Pico de Gallo, Avocado, the Roasted Red Pepper and Poblano -

lm3ORLh.jpg

Taco ready to go -

JEiRYdt.jpg

lvJAa5s.jpg

9l0Dvx6.jpg

Quick and easy.

Speaking of easy, what to do with lots of Cherry Tomatoes? We checked the VegTrugs this morning, the tomatoes looked as if they needed a few more days as they were orange. But starting to burst. A quick taste - they're ready.

OK, so we bought orange cherry tomatoes and hadn't realized it. They're never gonna turn red. D'oh! We're also growing an heirloom variety.

I went through recipes and have to omit any that include cooked, stewed, baked, etc. tomatoes. Not to my wife's liking. Sauce is fine, any sort of cooked tomato - nope. I did make a Chef John Cherry Tomato Galette one year, I wound up eating almost all of it.

Ina Garten to the rescue. I almost feel guilty posting this as it involves no grilling, bbq'ing, charcoal, etc. but it might give some of you an idea as to what to do with an abundance of cherry tomatoes. Sorry, no prep pics as I wasn't considering posting this but the steps are:

Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and place in a bowl. Add finely minced garlic. Add thinly sliced fresh basil (also from our garden). Add a good amount of EVOO, season with S&P. Let it sit for a while.

Boil water for pasta (I made Angel Hair). Add the pasta to the tomatoes, add lots of freshly grated Parmesan and dinner is served. This couldn't be any simpler and it's nice knowing that the ingredients were freshly picked from our garden. A few pics -

mzUFvXR.jpg

in4dQRg.jpg

KGS4Ez6.jpg

There you have it. A very quick and easy dinner with no need to fire up the grill on a 96 deg day. My thanks to Ina Garten for the recipe.

Thanks for checking out two nites of dinners.

Regards,
-lunchman

It looks awesome, must admit to loving cherry tomatoes in salad
You did make the flatbread did you?

Another long ball from Dom! Both good but I’m a taco guy. Very well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Two stellar meals that I'm sure that you both enjoyed! You are correct about cherry tomatoes, once they start, they come in abundance, so you had better have a few good recipes handy to use them up.

Back