SRF question

Wood Fire Steel

Full Fledged Farker
I recently placed my first SRF order. I bought gold waygu sirloins when they were on sale. I was excited given I had never cooked waygu before. Arrived solid frozen. Started off impressed. Good marbling, but not quite what I expected. It was a sirloin so I was still impressed. Cooked them up rare/medium rare. They looked awesome. Took a bite and the flavor was off the chain. Deep beef flavor. That is when things went downhill. I chewed on the darn thing for what seemed like 5 minutes. It was one of the toughest steaks I have ever eaten. WTH? I normally eat ribeye, but have had my fair share of sirloin. This was by far more tough than any sirloin I have ever eaten. Anyone else have this issue? Gun shy about ordering anything else.

The only thing that comes to mind is they needed more time on the grill. Perhaps more time would have broken down all that marbling?

what temperature... wagyu is best cooked at basically incineration temperatures >800 degrees or reverse sear.

SRF has no control over its inventory - it simply resells what is available.

did you start at room temperature? did you let them rest? A sirloin regardless of fat content is never going to be a ribeye.

I cook them basically like I always do. 30-40 minutes on the counter, season, on the kettle as hot as I can get it (600ish), direct heat unit I get the color I want, flip and repeat, off direct heat to get to the doness ( usually med rare), rest for 15-20 minutes. Cooked really nice prime without any problems. Must have been a right hand sirloin ;)

I cook them basically like I always do. 30-40 minutes on the counter, season, on the kettle as hot as I can get it (600ish), direct heat unit I get the color I want, flip and repeat, off direct heat to get to the doness ( usually med rare), rest for 15-20 minutes. Cooked really nice prime without any problems. Must have been a right hand sirloin ;)

Seems like u did it right.., as I said... Srf is simply a marketing company and has no real control over their inventory.... They simply buy up the excess wagyu the actual ranchers don't or can't sell to their specialty markets.

Do some research....much better and less expensive options for wagyu.

Seems like u did it right.., as I said... Srf is simply a marketing company and has no real control over their inventory.... They simply buy up the excess wagyu the actual ranchers don't or can't sell to their specialty markets.

Do some research....much better and less expensive options for wagyu.

Who else is out here for wagyu brisket

I'm not going to advertise... Buying from the source requires buying in bulk...typically in 50-60 pound increments.

Google is your friend... Emails are free.

There are four wagyu certified wagyu beef ranches in the US... Maybe 5.

Back