Southern California BBQ Crawl...

Bentley likes his BBq like he likes his women, No breast and big thighs, and not so sweet but salty!

Had a great time wish i could have made it to all 3 to give a better comparison.

This is Kristin, Bentley's sister. I have posted a compliation of all comments at www.mybbqpit.com under forums, "Reviews of Southern California BBQ Crawl Places". Nice to visit with all the folks who came out yesterday.

I had a great time! Thanks for organizing this crawl. When's the next one?

It's interesting to hear everyone's take on food and to recognize again how different people experience tastes differently. This made me want to go back and eat a whole lot of a few of the dishes, that's for sure. I tried to taste each thing as served before adding sauce. Sauce by itself is a dangerous thing to rate because it's designed to go on something, so the flavor alone may not be balanced, but when it's on the meat, it may be fantastic.

Big Mista's.
It's hard to be first up in any competition...
The brisket was a revelation. I have not had it with that much rub before and it was fantastic. It did not need any sauce, bread, anything...
The rib was good. The one I had was a bit small and undercooked, maybe. I left considerable meat on the bone when I bit it. I thought it needed sauce and the sauce is excellent, so that was a necessary addition to the overall flavor package. It was sort of plain by itself.
Pulled pork. I didn't get a sample until the end and the finger-full I had was just tiny shreds. Tasty freakin' tiny shreads they were, though.
Chicken. Salty, slightly dry breast that balanced well when dipped in sauce. People that like dry-ish chicken would really like it -- my son and my wife, for example.
Sauce. Apparently this was not the Super Secret Competition sauce, but his "normal" one....really good. Not too thick or thin and sweet. It didn't overwhelm the food it was put on but complemented it. You wouldn't necessarily say great sauce, you would say great BBQ. (that's high praise, by the way)
Greens. Good but needed something porky for my taste.
Beans. Sweet. Lots of beany goodness.
Cole Slaw. Very sweet by itself so it would go great on a pulled pork sandwich, I bet.

Overall rating? Yum! I will hunt down the BigMista tent again.

Texas BBQ King.
Chicken. I had a thigh and it was excellent. It had nice smoky flavor and was soft and gushy with juice, just like I like them.
Rib. They either cook at a higher heat or crispy them up at the end. There were burnt bits all over. My wife would have been in heaven. I thought that they burned the sauce on them and burnt bits of garlic taste nasty to me. I wiped it off and a bite of the meat revealed a nice texture and taste.
Tri-Tip. The post-it sized piece I had was destroyed. Overcooked and not good.
Sauce. Garlicky. Bitter. Overwhelming aftertaste.
Greens. Definitely a mixture of greens. If you are prepared for collards and there is some mustard or turnip in it, it has a distinctly different flavor. I did not like these at all.
Mac and Cheese. Ugh. Disgusting. Chewy, undercooked mac and not enough cheese.

Overall rating? Great chicken, but I don't need to remember the address.

Phillips.
The rib. Fantastic. Lots of meat. Cooked just right. A bit of salt to the tongue and a hint of smoke and then the meat flavor takes over. I doubt they ever put sauce to meat so the texture was ...meaty instead of glazed and saucy.
Chicken. Nice smoky flavor. Not as amazing as the last place but very good.
Tri-Tip. Maybe I was hoping for Santa Maria style and this certainly wasn't it. Dry.
Sauce. They have regular and hot, which is really hot. They will serve it mixed as well. The regular is vinegary and not that much flavor and the hot is, well, a hotter version. I did not like it by itself but I thought that it definitely enhanced the rib's flavor. It hindered the beef and chicken, though, if you ask me.
Greens. Suffice it to say that I went back inside and bought a quart. The best greens I've had in a long time.
Beans. Not as beany as BigMista's. The beaniness was lost in the sauce.

Overall rating? Ribs and greens. Yum!

An additional tasting test, too. Bread. BigMista served us 2/3 of a loaf of bread from the store wrapper. It was the best of the three. Texas BBQ King had nasty dried out corn muffins and Phillips served one piece of white bread wrapped in plastic with a napkin and fork....

So BigMista's was outdoors on a rainy Saturday and he still had some business. Pretty good for the few weeks he's been there. We were in Texas BBQ King at lunchtime and there were few customers. Phillips had a line the whole time we were there. There's a reason that customers show up and places stay in business for a long time. They deliver what the customers want and don't screw it up very often.

I am a hard grader -- like my fourth grade teacher, Mr. Kreps. I would say that for everything as a whole that first would be BigMista, then Phillips, and Texas BBQ King a distant third.

Rib: Phillips, Texas BBQ King, BigMista
Chicken: Texas BBQ King, Phillips, BigMista
Beef: BigMista
Sauce: BigMista
Greens: Phillips, BigMista, Texas BBQ King
Beans: BigMista, Phillips, Texas BBQ King

Thanks again! March 28, maybe?

p.s. MrsMista, your butter pecan pound cake is fantastic!

I want to thank everyone for coming over to visit us. We enjoyed feeding you and we hope you will all come back real soon!

Mista

Bentley, Here are the directions for the Jerky. I noticed on there site that there are actually two different instructions for the jerky.

The jerky at the crawl had mixed reviews. a couple of people liked it moist which is how Hi mountian seasonings comes out. Others said they preferred it more dry. One said it looked raw, He, I believe dehydrates his for 12 hours or more.

I think next time I will smoke it 2 hours instead of 1 1/2. I have had moist jerky before from a place in the mountains of So Cal. I am used to the moist kind and like it better.

The oven jerky I did was moist but of course lacking the smoke flavor.

Here are the instructions for those who asked about the jerky. Notice the difference in smoking times between the one from there website and the instructions they send you. I am curious to call them and find out why the descrepency.

hiiiii-1.jpg

Sorry about the poor scan.

1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NOW YOU ARE READY TO COOK/SMOKE YOUR FIRST BATCH OF JERKY[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]OVEN: Place foil or pan on bottom of oven to catch drippings. Lay the strips on the oven racks, making sure there is air between each piece (our Jerky Screen are perfect here). Place in oven for 1 to 1 ÂĽ hours at 200F with the oven door open just a crack. Taste the jerky frequently. When the jerky is cooked to your liking, stop cooking. The jerky is made with cure and seasoning, it does not have to be dry to the point where you can't chew it like store bought jerky. Remember, taste often while cooking or smoking.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SMOKEHOUSE: Here again, all home smokers are different in size, wall thickness, location (inside/outside), temperature, wind, heat source, etc. This is where you need to experiment. We recommend smoking the jerky at 200F for 2 ½ hours with smoke on; however, if your smoker will not reach 200F, leave the product in longer – but do not smoke for more than 3 hours until you have tasted the first batch.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DO NOT OVER COOK – DO NOT OVER SMOKE!! [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Too much smoke can produce and "off" flavor.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DEHYDRATOR: Follow your dehydrator instructions. Again, jerky does not have to be cooked so hard you can't chew it. Test often.[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After smoking/cooking and before storing, always pat dry, leaving your jerky free of excess grease.[/FONT]

OOPs, I got side tracked.

Big Mistas

Good Brisket out of all. As always loved the sauce,

Texas BBQ king

I liked the tenderness of the ribs here. Only problem was the sauce was too sweet.

Phillips

The best Collard greens.

That is about all I remember, Attention span not so good.:-D

Hope by saying this I am invited back to more crawls. I truly like these things but my favorite part is hanging with the people that show up and shootin the chit with each other, Talkin BBQ.

Last edited:
In the future I think it would be advantagious to bring designated drivers and share tequila or bourbon between stops.

One said it looked raw, He, I believe dehydrates his for 12 hours or more.
Ahh, that would be me. I must clarify. The last batch I made I cut a bit too thick and it took forever to get dried. If it's not dried enough, it gets moldy. Yes, I got that result once or twice. Most of the time I start the dehydrator and go to bed to wake up to jerky - and a house that smells good.

Hope by saying this I am invited back to more crawls. I truly like these things but my favorite part is hanging with the people that show up and shootin the chit with each other, Talkin BBQ.
Organize the next one!!!

In the future I think it would be advantagious to bring designated drivers and share tequila or bourbon between stops.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Back