THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
I'm cooking a rib roast tonight for Xmas Eve.

Most of my family wants closer to medium than medium rare. What would you set the temp to? I'm thinking 136, but I don't want to overcook it. I think I can get away with medium-rare/medium and keep everyone happy.

I'm going to finish it 500 degrees on the pellet cooker, but only to form the crust.

I cook mine to a temperature of 130. it seems a good temp for my guests, only one person requires more cooking for their slices. after 135 your gonna be getting grey

zABWAUih.jpg

I agree with smoke ninja. If you want to sear at the end, you might even want to pull it 125ish. Sear until you get the color but don't let the meat go over 133ish. The carryover will take it to 135 in a hurry.

I would go to 135-136 and would sear at a higher temp if you can If someone does not like the color stick in microwave for a few seconds

that one was oven cooked but at about 200. no real carryover over at that temp. I pull at 130 and rest for 30 minutes or so and sear over a flame. id be concerned that a hot pellet cooker will cause some extra cooking as it will take longer than a fire sear. if that's your only option that rest post cook is important, it'll let the temp come down so it wont over cook when it rise during sear. also dry the surface real good so the crust forms faster

I would sousvide it to 128. Then sear on a super hot grill. Dont' forget to re-season the outside. I have found when I sousvide a rib roast, I get a much better result having the meat warm a bit on the counter. If i go in straight from the fridge, the area by the bone never turns out the way i want.

If you're grill isn't super hot, you'll end up taking longer to get the crust you want plus you may cook an additional degree or two.

125 is medium rare, 135 is medium.

Good luck!

I think he meant you can get carry over when searing

Yeah that won't happen here due to the short time. It will be a surface sear only, which of course is one of the big benefits of sous vide. My dilemma is the perfect temp to set the sous vide to for that medium-rare++ final temp.

This looks like a pretty decent guide, though there are several out there on the intwerwebs. Based on this I guess 135 is where I need to shoot.

VRmegqpl.jpg

Friday night I did a sous vide rib roast for my neighbors and they asked for medium. I set the temperature to 140 for 6 hours and then seared the outside on my Big Steel Keg.

Picture of the rib roast done at 140.
bq9TcKN.jpg

THANK YOU... 137.5 it is :grin:

I personally would set it lower but that pic above - nothing at all wrong with the moisture there.
And if guests want it well done, put it in au jus on a stove top for 1/2 minute a side - will turn grey, but still be moist!

Yeah that won't happen here due to the short time. It will be a surface sear only, which of course is one of the big benefits of sous vide. My dilemma is the perfect temp to set the sous vide to for that medium-rare++ final temp.

This looks like a pretty decent guide, though there are several out there on the intwerwebs. Based on this I guess 135 is where I need to shoot.

VRmegqpl.jpg

Actually, that guide is kind of incomplete due to having specific temps for each degree of doneness. They are actually ranges of temps. In SV world, rare is 120 to 128. Midrare is 129 to 134. Medium is 135 to 144. Medium Well is 145 to 155, and well is 156 and up.

Other charts will have slight variations of a degree or two, but still generally in the same ballpark.

I think one of the reasons some people dont like rare or med rare is the soft texture( my son is one).

I have found cooking steaks sous vide to med rare...the texture is a lil firmer...and passes his picky texture test.

6 hours @ 137.5 did a pretty good job. I didn't get any pics, but it kept most everyone happy. I did throw a couple slices in the broiler with a little aus jus on top. No one complained. :)

Back