"Soups, Stews, & Chili!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, Jan. 9th!!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Our New Throwdown Category is...

"Soups, Stews, & Chili!"

51708805663_ce280e5dc6_b.jpg

This was DerHusker's winning entry in the 2021 "Soups, Stews, & Chili" Throwdown.

As chosen by lunchman for winning the "Leftovers" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:

lunchman said:
[FONT=&quot]Stews, Soups or Chili![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It's that time of year where a warm bowl of Stew, Soup or Chili is a welcome sight at any meal. Prepare a Stew, Soup or Chili on a grill, smoker, bbq or similar device. As an alternative to cooking the stew, soup or chili itself outside, your entry must feature the prominent use of grilled and/or smoked ingredients. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Standard throwdown rules apply.[/FONT]

Dom

You may submit entries that are cooked from 12/23 through 1/9.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday, 1/9/23.

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
The timing of this throwdown is ironic. Gave the kids (youngest is 27) their choice of anything they wanted as an entree for Christmas dinner. Sorta blew my mind they settled on chili.

Going shopping for fresh peppers this afternoon.

OK, so LEFTOVERS AGAIN! :cool:

OK, I need a ruling from the Mods/Judges: Can I use a previously smoked meat to make a stew or chili, or does the meat have to be smoked during the TD window?

Have the same question. Have a chunk of pecan-smoked turkey breast in the freezer from Thanksgiving was planning to add to chili.

There's a couple of ways of looking at this, one would be that the previously smoked/grilled meat would be allowed as long as the entry(soup/stew/chili) is cooked on a grill or smoker. Another would be that previously grilled/smoked meat would not be allowed, since the entry must be cooked during the Throwdown period, which means the entire entry as this is not a "Leftovers" Throwdown.

That said, Andy and I feel Dom(lunchman) should make the call as he chose the category and can help clarify his intention.

There's a couple of ways of looking at this, one would be that the previously smoked/grilled meat would be allowed as long as the entry(soup/stew/chili) is cooked on a grill or smoker. Another would be that previously grilled/smoked meat would not be allowed, since the entry must be cooked during the Throwdown period, which means the entire entry as this is not a "Leftovers" Throwdown.

That said, Andy and I feel Dom(lunchman) should make the call as he chose the category and can help clarify his intention.

My intent on this is the first scenario Moose mentioned: previously grilled/ smoked meat would be allowed if the entry (soup/ stew/ chili) is cooked on a grill or smoker.

So...

Either the soup, stew or chili needs to be cooked on a grill/ smoker (leftover ingredients would be fine) and/or the primary ingredient needs to be grilled or smoked during the throwdown period.

I hope that makes sense to everyone.

Dom

My intent on this is the first scenario Moose mentioned: previously grilled/ smoked meat would be allowed if the entry (soup/ stew/ chili) is cooked on a grill or smoker.

So...

Either the soup, stew or chili needs to be cooked on a grill/ smoker (leftover ingredients would be fine) and/or the primary ingredient needs to be grilled or smoked during the throwdown period.

I hope that makes sense to everyone.

Dom

Thanks for chiming in, Dom! :thumb:

After getting the go-ahead from Dom (thanks!) pulled smoked turkey to thaw. Bone-in breast...roughly 2¼# of meat.

turkey10.jpg

Bought more ground round, pork, and lamb than is needed. Decided to leave out the lamb on this batch after weighing the turkey.

Overbought the peppers too but that's normal when I make chili. Have to checkout each variety's flavor/heat when prepping them to decide how much of each to use.

pepper10.jpg

Dom

Or both.
Grill the meat and smoke the stew. It's all good.

After cutting the breast up decided to skip both the lamb and beef. 3# of ground pork and 2# of smoked turkey.

20221212.jpg

Toasted cumin and coriander seeds. Over toasted (burnt) the first batch.
20221215.jpg

Ground.
20221214.jpg

Most important part. Fresh peppers
20221216.jpg

The bean averse should look away but, please accept this entry
20221217.jpg

Been a while since I participated in a throwdown. Forgot to do a cook thread. Sorry for putting all the commentary/pics in this thread.

Pics of the smoker and turkey breast

20221115.jpg

20221114.jpg

Back