Some pr0n of my 4th of July fun

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I cooked 62lbs of butts, 30 racks of ribs and 40 lbs of chicken for my aunt's 4th of July party on Saturday. It was the most I've ever cooked at one time. Overall it went very well, it wasn't exactly competition Q, but from the sound of it, it was some of the best Q most of those folks have had. I figure what they don't know won't hurt 'em. :grin:

I started cooking Wednesday night. I did all 8 butts on my 22" WSM and also did 30lbs of wings as a request for a friend for his own 4th party the next day. I went to bed at 4am that night and the Maverick alerted me I was low on charcoal at 6:30am. :tsk:

I reheated them on the gasser the next morning and threw on some of Patio Daddio's Finger Stickin' Sauce. They were surprisingly good the next day. (photo is pre-sauce)

No injection, just some homemade rub. I did foil them at around 7am. I was kinda surprised that they all fit.

At this point I let the pork cool in the fridge while we went to a party. When I got home I vacuum sealed the pork and we reheated it in boiling water on Saturday. I saved all the juices from the foil and that got mixed back in along with a little AJ and BBQ sauce at service.

So Saturday came around and we fired up the 2 drums, my 22 and 18" WSM's and a Traeger and got busy.

I couldn't have done it without my two teammates, my wife's Uncle Jeff and his wife Olivia. Oh and I started a competition team a little while back too. We are Napkin Killers BBQ, we repped the Brethren that day as well. :thumb:

First thing we did was prep the ribs and get them going. We got 30 racks in the 2 drums and 22" WSM with rib racks. 10 per drum.

The chicken went on the 18" WSM and the Traeger. It was the first time I cooked on a Traeger...I liked it.

Unfortunately, with all the commotion I didn't get many good money shots of the food. Here's what I got. :tsk:

Even the dog found a way to get in on the party.

My aunt though it would be funny to get me a chefs hat. I didn't think it was that funny.

So all in all it was a good week of cooking for me and a very happy 4th of July all around. I hope yours was good as well!

Thanks for looking!

:peace:

Everything looks fantastic, especially you in that hat! You earned the right to wear a "Chef's Hat", wear it proudly. I am envious of your formidable BBQ set-up, looks like you are ready to vend.

that's the real deal right there. i'd have a nervous breakdown having to cook that much. cooking large amounts of multiple things makes me all discombobulated.

that's the real deal right there. i'd have a nervous breakdown having to cook that much. cooking large amounts of multiple things makes me all discombobulated.

Coming from the guy brewing 50 gallons of beer for a movie, I highly doubt you'd have any problems with volume. After that Sam Adams grill shot I have to believe you're pictures would be a little bit better too. :grin:

Dude! You're shrinking! :shocked: :laugh:

Great work right there Jason - and I gotta say I look pretty farking studly in my NK shirt as well. At least that's what my mind tells me. :twitch:

Masterfully done sir! :clap:

Dude! You're shrinking! :shocked: :laugh:

Great work right there Jason - and I gotta say I look pretty farking studly in my NK shirt as well. At least that's what my mind tells me. :twitch:

Masterfully done sir! :clap:

Yeah, most people who haven't seen me for a while ask me if I'm alright. :tsk: I've never felt better actually. :thumb:

I have no doubt that your herculean physique fills out that shirt nicely. :grin:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Looks like a great time, and food looks tasty too! Something about a patio area full of dingy, dinged up drum cookers- I love it!

Hope the puppy got a snack... I used to always make a special treat for my big guy when I smoked. Sadly, we just lost him last tuesday.:sad:

Thanks for sharing your cook.

Back