Smokin in the Square Pensacola, FL

gpcvg

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Gene
We competed at Smokin in the Square in Pensacola this past weekend. Now we have only competed in a few contests but they did something that we thought was a great idea and it needs to be shared. After the last turn ins they had a group of guys come around asking if you wanted to donate your leftovers to supply the local food banks. They gave us some pans to put the food in and came back later with Cambros on a trailer to collect the meat. Speaking for us, more BBQ is the last thing we want for a few days so we thought this was a great way to give back. One of the guys said they can supply 4 food banks with the food they would collect.

I know some teams sell their contest meats to re-coop some contest funds but this donation is a great way to help those less fortunate. I hope more contests look into this and we will look into donating our food even if contests don't. Well done to Ivan and his staff!

That's a noble effort. I want ice cream after a comp. After this last weekend, we ended up going out for Chinese. But at this one in Canada, we fed the public. The pork commission was kind enough to give everyone extra butts and in a remote area, we had 3500 visitors, all hungry, so we treated everyone. Always happy to hand off any additional meat, except brisket, I like to keep that and hide in the corner hoarding it as I giggle and stuff my face.

There are some areas that won't let you do that because it hasn't been cooked in a state inspected kitchen...makes no sense to me.

There are some areas that won't let you do that because it hasn't been cooked in a state inspected kitchen...makes no sense to me.

I think the Bill Emerson Act negates this and protects those donating in good will. I could be mistaken..........

Back