Smoker Mods and Brisket & Butt Cook

Brew n Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Got my Franklin BBQ book last week, and it made me really want to cook this weekend.

VRDYfLul.jpg

The method he describes in his book is pretty much what I (and a bunch of others on this forum) use already. The big thing that struck me was how much attention he puts into the smoker design. His smokers are designed for maximum air velocity. I think that is what mine is missing, so I decided to make some mods. First was to extend the smokestack. I got some aluminum exhaust vent pipe that fit perfectly into the top of the stack to extend it another 2 feet. I also took out the tuning plates to get a better flow through the smoker.

CpgEpFQl.jpg

Another thing Franklin mentions in his book is to not make the firebox sit too low below the chamber. No way to fix that on my smoker, but I'll keep it in mind next build.

Another thing I did was to split some of the logs into smaller diameter sections, so I can choose what size to use depending on the characteristics of the fire.

SlgfJrEl.jpg

The smoker mods, along with the variety of split sizes, worked like a charm! Before, I would have to poke and prod the fire and coals very often to get the fire to stay consistent. With this, I just threw a log or two on every 45 minutes to and hour, and let it do its thing. I've never seen such thin smoke on a stick burner. There were times when I could just barely see any trace of smoke coming out of the stack. The smoke coming out of the stack was also moving fast. I could definitely see the improvement. Moral of the story, if you are going to build or buy a custom smoker, get the stack taller than you think you need. If it is too tall, you can always throttle it back using the stack damper.

Now, on to the cook. I found a nice prime brisket at HEB. 11.5 lbs.

SYcuABZl.jpg

Trimmed aggressively to about 8 lbs.

xNEEmVWl.jpg

Paci0x6l.jpg

Seasoned with salt and pepper

BSuQjp4l.jpg

Also trimmed and seasoned a butt with salt and pepper only.

BlFKxJPl.jpg

And onto the smoker they went. I was targeting about 275. Smoker temps ranged from 250 to 300, so I think they averaged out around 275. At around 8 hours in, the brisket left the stall and was climbing in temp. I wrapped at this point in butcher paper.

wdTHPcrl.jpg

I also wrapped the butt in foil at this time.

QLXGhjQl.jpg

After a little less than 10 total hours, the butt probed tender. I pulled it off to let it rest while the brisket finished. The brisket finished in just under 11 hours. This was probably the quickest brisket I have done on this pit.

shi10hYl.jpg

Z7Ur86Tl.jpg

Since I had planned on a longer cook, I stashed the meat in a cooler for 4 hours while I got a bit of shut-eye. Then, it was time to slice.

0y8XlG8l.jpg

20knVdYl.jpg

iVIpa6Al.jpg

And pull.

oCZGT6Bl.jpg

Quality-wise, this brisket was a bit better than before. Last time I wrapped too soon. This time I wrapped just a bit too late. It had just a couple of dry edges, but nothing major. The fat rendering was great, and made a nice sticky bark. For the butt, I should have also wrapped sooner. There were no dried-out parts, but I think it could have had more juciness if I wrapped a bit earlier.

The big difference in this cook was the ease and speed of it. I never had to fiddle with the fire, and the better airflow made the meat get through the stall and finish a lot quicker. Now I really want to sell this smoker and design a new one with other mods. :grin:

Great write up! I have never liked big splits. I find the smaller ones turn to coals quicker and mixing small ones with larger ones works best for my offset. Sounds like I need to get this book. Nice looking brisket and pulled pork.

Did you find the smoke would turn white for the first few minutes each time you added another split throughout the cook? Maybe I'm OCD, but those are the primary moments in my cooks when I cannot eliminate the white. Drives me nuts.

Did you find the smoke would turn white for the first few minutes each time you added another split throughout the cook? Maybe I'm OCD, but those are the primary moments in my cooks when I cannot eliminate the white. Drives me nuts.

The smaller splits should help there. You could also start the logs to the side and shovel them in, like using a brasero.

Great write up and amazing looking meat. I too just finished his book and really liked his approach to things... It was also refreshing to see his style, coming from a place of humility vs. arrogance (read Mixon's book too and although humorous at times, very arrogant).

Can't wait to get my smoker - 8-12 week lead time! Graduating from a pellet pooper to a KAT Reverse flow 48x20 offset.

I am curious, how does a taller stack help? I guess I just don't see the science.

I am curious, how does a taller stack help? I guess I just don't see the science.

I'm not sure on the exact science of it, but the taller stack draws the hot smoke up it harder than a shorter stack. Maybe it has something to do with hot air rising and convection currents and such. All I know is that it works like a charm.

Did you find the smoke would turn white for the first few minutes each time you added another split throughout the cook?

I didn't really get much white even when throwing a new log on. I would leave the door wide open just until the split caught on good, then I would close it up. The smoke would be just a bit thicker then, but it would still be considered thin blue.

Your stack looked plenty high to begin with; I'm surprised you had to raise it. In any case, good write up and great looking food. Glad it worked out so well for you.

Your stack looked plenty high to begin with; I'm surprised you had to raise it.

I sized it right on with Feldon's pit calculator. I think it mostly has to do with how low my firebox is. I think that is what was giving me fits before, and the longer stack helps compensate for that.

Back