Smoker Grates Cleaning

harrybbq

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Haroldo
I'm sure this has been covered here somewhere, I the search button doesn't work for me because I'm not a subscriber (even though I'm not trying to do an advanced search)

Anyway, in my previous home I used to have a Horizon 20" and a gasser next to it. The grates of the smoker would get very gunky, sticky, because there is not enough heat to crust it so that I can brush it off. So what I used to do is take the grates out, put them in the gasser, and turn the fire on to max and let it burn. It was magical. The smoker grates would come out squeeky clean.

That house burned down, the smoker is gone, so is the gasser. Now I have a new smoker on order, and I just realized I have no plans on how to clean the grates.

What do people do? Brushing won't get the fatty unburnt gunk off, so I'm sure I'm missing something

I use old wadded up foil on my Weber kettle once it heats up. Unlike a greasy brush I just throw the foil away. It does good removing food debris and gunk between each cook but eventually it needs a thorough cleaning which I use oven cleaner and Scotch Brite pads.

Back