Smoked Corned Beef Brisket

Grimm5577

is Blowin Smoke!
Decided to smoke a Corned Beef Brisket on Diesel Boy and cook up some mashed potatoes. Lit half a chimney of briquettes, tossed them into the empty side of the basket and then let that purr along to a steady 250 Degrees, Diesel Boy ran solidly at around 275 degrees for the whole cook.

Here is a corned beef brisket flat, small guy (wife says I cook too much so I'm trying to find smaller hunks of meat) Granted after we were done eating she was complaining about how little there was for leftovers. She really enjoyed this meal.

IMG_2970.jpg

I seasoned the Brisket with SPG, and a lite dash of some Montreal Steak seasoning.

IMG_2971.jpg

IMG_2972.jpg

Once the fire was ready and burning well on the meat went.

IMG_2974.jpg

After about 2 hours over some briquettes and hickory, I wrapped up the Brisket in foil with some beer and let it cook till around 200 Degrees. About another hour.

IMG_2979.jpg

I let the Corned Beef Brisket rest for about an hour on the counter at which time I made the red bliss garlic mashed potatoes.

Once the potatoes were ready it was time to slice the Corned Beef Brisket.

IMG_2983.jpg

Plated with some of the potatoes and some Aus Jus from the foil.

IMG_2985.jpg

We love home made pastrami! For store bought corned beef I usually soak it in water for at least 24 hours to pull out some of the salt.

How was the salt level in your? It looks great!

Looks Tasty! I just rinse off the store bought Corn Beef flats - not soak them and they aren't too Salty for me - I do steam them for 15-20 minutes after smoking prior to slicing tho.

We love home made pastrami! For store bought corned beef I usually soak it in water for at least 24 hours to pull out some of the salt.

x2

You did great, so do it again and it will be even better. Slice some up for Reubens as well :thumb:

I rinsed it off, I didn't find it all to salty even with the light addition of salt that i gave it prior to the cook. I think braising it in the beer for the last bit helped pull some out.

Looks Tasty! I just rinse off the store bought Corn Beef flats - not soak them and they aren't too Salty for me - I do steam them for 15-20 minutes after smoking prior to slicing tho.

I'll try the steam next time, I thought the braising in beer would do it enough justice but would like to see how it is after steam to compare.

x2

You did great, so do it again and it will be even better. Slice some up for Reubens as well :thumb:

Saddly there isn't enough leftovers for that. Next time I will.

Looks good. Did one myself this year. I did the soak to remove salt smoked in the electric and finished on the kettle. Best. Ruebens. Ever.

That looks awesome!! :eusa_clap I've got to try this very soon!

So what do you do with the pickling spice thats included?

That looks awesome!! :eusa_clap I've got to try this very soon!
So what do you do with the pickling spice thats included?
I was going to use that as part of the rub but this guy's was missing?

I do love Pastrami...I usually soak for a day. but may try one with a "rinse"
I couldn't imagine what it would be like soaked for a day. This wasn't a very large cut, But I will certainly try it along with the steam next time. My wife is already asking me to make it again some time soon.

Back