THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

code3rrt

Babbling Farker
Hey all. Tried a couple new things, for me anyway. First, smoked/braised shortribs, and two, a long cook on the Smokey Joe. Turned out pretty successful on both counts.

I never would have thought to do a long cook on the Smokey Joe, usually just use it for quick grilling, burgers, brats, steaks and such. But I also hate to fire up the Performer for a relatively small cook. In one of the threads here recently, Bludawg I believe it was, said he had done cooks of several hours on his Smokey Joe, so I figured I would give it a go.

Seasoned up the shortribs with Pitbarrel Cooker Beef and Game rub. I set my Smokey joe up for indirect, shooting for cooking temps of 250-275. It worked out great.The whole cook was about 4.5 hours.

Ribs on:
Smokedandbraisedshortribs011_zpsc7c2d590.jpg

At about one hour:
Smokedandbraisedshortribs012_zps6410211d.jpg

At a little over two hours:
Smokedandbraisedshortribs013_zpseccc61f3.jpg

Pulled these at this point and placed them in a pie tin with some mild beef broth and sauted onions:
Smokedandbraisedshortribs014_zps470bf8fe.jpg

Covered with foil, wrapped tight, back in the Smokey Joe, with vents all open, temps were running 325-375 for the remainder of the cook.
At three hours the ribs were still a bit tough, at four hours maybe a little more, they were fork tender.
Smokedandbraisedshortribs015_zpsef6c3394.jpg

plated with some garlic whipped taters, a little gravy made from the broth, and buttered green beans:
100_5513_zps731b9c41.jpg

100_5509_zps94a06ae2.jpg

Nice smoke ring:
100_5518_zps9ceceaa9.jpg

A salad topped with artichokes and grape tomatoes, with Newmans Own honey mustard dressing:
100_5517_zpsfedfa259.jpg

A couple of bite shots:
100_5515_zps45783a9f.jpg

100_5512_zps65a2d77a.jpg

All in all a great cook, the ribs were delicious!

Thanks for looking.

KC

That's pretty cool.

Ya got 4.5 hrs. from a Joe? We're taking ours on vacation with us in a couple weeks. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

That's pretty cool.

Ya got 4.5 hrs. from a Joe? We're taking ours on vacation with us in a couple weeks. I'll have to try that. Thanks!

LOL, Yep, used lump charcoal with a couple little pieces of mesquite. I foiled the charcoal grate about 2/3-3/4 or so, lit up about half a chimney of lump, piled it over the opening. Had the bottom vent at about 1/4 to 1/3 open and the top vent all open, still had a litlle fuel left when I was done, probably could have gotten another 1/2 hour to an hour out of it. I think Bludawg even had a longer cook but I can't remember the post.

Back