Smoked Andouille Sausage

K-JUN

is one Smokin' Farker
I needed some Aundouille for a recipe I am working on. I thought I would share my process. Recipie after the pics.

DSC01423.jpg

DSC01422.jpg

DSC01425.jpg

DSC01426.jpg

DSC01429.jpg

DSC01430.jpg

DSC01433.jpg

DSC01452.jpg

DSC01453.jpg

DSC01434.jpg

DSC01458.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

DSC01468.jpg

DSC01469.jpg

DSC01476.jpg

DSC01473.jpg

Smoked Andouille Sausage Recipe

2 lbs boneless pork loin
3 lbs boneless pork butt
2 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. black pepper
2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. paprika
1 level teaspoon Instacure #1
1 cup ice water

Cut 3 lbs of the pork butt into 1 inch cubes and then grind them with the coarse plate of your meat grinder. Alternatively you can process with cutting knife in food processor. If you choose this method process on high for approximately ten seconds, or until meat is a coarse ground consistency.
Cut 2 lbs of pork loin into small chunks about 1/8 inch square. This will be easier to do if the pork is very cold or still partially frozen.
Mix the spices and cure with the 1 cup of ice water.
Pour the spice, cure and water combination into the ground and chopped meat and mix thoroughly. Make sure there is even distribution of all the spice and cure.
Stuff the meat and spice mixture into 35-38 mm natural pork casings. Refrigerate the linked sausage overnight. This will allow the sausage to cure and for the seasonings to meld.

Smoking Sausage Step 1
Drying Sausage

Remove the sausage from the refrigerator at least one hour before smoking. This will allow the sausage casing to dry, resulting in a more even color when smoked. If the sausage has not dried completely pat dry with a paper towel before smoking.

Smoking Sausage Step 2
Apply The Smoke

The smoking method, time, and temperature are a personal choice. I like to smoke at a fairly low temperature of 200* to 225* with pecan wood. I know some people who prefer smoking at higher temperatures and that’s okay. I choose the lower temperature because I fell there is less shrinkage. Regardless of what smoking method you use make sure the sausage has reached 160* (some people say 165* should be the minimum temperature) before removing it from the smoker.

Smoked Sausage Step 3
Cooling Down

Once your sausage has reached the correct internal temperature (160 degrees F.), it needs to be cooled quickly and thoroughly or the casings will shrink and shrivel. This happens quickly once the links are taken from the smoker, so you need to have things in place . The goal is to cool the sausage down to 120 degrees as quickly as you can.

Set up an ice bath in your sink, ice chest, or large tub that is clean and sanitized. To sanitize surfaces use 1 tablespoon of chlorine bleach to each gallon of water. Allow surface to air dry.

Place the smoked Andouille sausage into the ice bath and cool until internal temperature reaches 120*.

Smoked Sausage Step 3
Blooming

To assure an even deeper and more uniform color though, you Andouille now need to "bloom" it. Blooming is letting your sausage dry at room temperature before you package it for storage. The longer you bloom the deeper and darker the color will become. In most cases, 1 to 2 hours of blooming is best.

I hope you enjoyed this thanks for looking.

Very nicely done sir - easily one of the best recipe/method posts I've seen. :clap2:

I've made Andouille a few times and always enjoy - I'm bookmarking this one and trying it out soon. :thumb:

If I still have wrinkled casings after the ice bath, I'll do a real quick dunk in boiling water to tighten 'em up.

Posts like this are what separate the Brethren from anywhere else. Such helpful instuctions and sharing of ideas is amazing for everyone (especially us noobies).

That is some fine lookin stuff! Thanks for the share, it will be tried fo sho.

Thank you everyone. I'm just trying to pay it forward for all the great info I receive here.:thumb:

Nice! Thanks! Just curious, have you ever tried it with just shoulder, and no loin?

Yes, if you mean dice some shoulder and grind some shoulder that would still be considered Andouille in my book. If you mean just ground shoulder to me thats regular cajun pork sausage.

Yes, if you mean dice some shoulder and grind some shoulder that would still be considered Andouille in my book. If you mean just ground shoulder to me thats regular cajun pork sausage.

+1. When I make andouille I use all shoulder - 3/4 rough grind and 1/4 diced. As K-Jun said, it ain't andouille otherwise. Also make sure you use real hog casing. We tried collagen one time and it wasn't the same.

Back