Smoke Hollow #3 Gasser - TBS tips?

RogueWave

Got Wood.
Hi folks,

Newb, here. Really like your forums. Seems like a lotta’ good folks. I made sure to post an intro in the Cattle Call.

Now to my question with photos below...

Unit is a Smoke Hollow #3 Gasser. It's 16"W x 14"D OD. (Gotta' separate the point from the flat before loading 'em in. But it works.)

I’m having trouble keeping the TWS at bay. I’m using roughly 2” cubic chunks, pecan, apple & cherry, so far. (My girls are a bit smoke sensitive, so I’m not buying hickory just yet. I want their Q experiences to begin on as positive note as possible.) I’ve spaced them apart and packed them together. I’ve tried the 2 lower vents open and closed and pre-heated the chunks. Results are pretty much the same. Mostly TWS with a little TBS at the beginning and end. And I believe my product may be suffering a bit.

First off, I’m wondering if Smoke Hollow hasn’t changed their design or something. I haven’t found any photos of their burners and chip pans as of yet. My burner is of the grill-type, i.e. a straight, stainless tube. There’s a steel tent over the burner with a rectangular hole in the middle that the cheap, little sheet metal chip pan sits over (see photos.) Seems like the pan runs hot, even when the smoker is as low as 190F (via digital thermometer.)

I also noticed something interesting this last smoke session. My wood had stopped smoking. So I pulled the pan, dumped the mostly-black coals (hmmm) in my steel bucket, reloaded and closed ‘er up.

Well… after a bit… I noticed a good amount of smoke coming from the bucket. I pulled the individual coals out and placed ‘em on my concrete patio and they all really began to smoke.

So I put them back in the pan with the new, pre-heated chunks, closed the door and they quit smoking. Hmmm.

***EDIT***
I have also tried foiling the chunks and poking a few small holes. Didn't seem to help much if at all.

My bro has the same smoker. He uses soaked chips with good results. I know the general consensus calls that a “no-no,” but my research shows that an exception may be in order for gassers like this. The instructions from Smoke Hollow says to soak.

Ambient temp for most of the last Q was around 35F and it was a bit foggy.

I’m planning a couple of experiments before I throw meat on the racks again.

1. Soaking chips and chunks

2. Purchasing a beater cast iron pan for the wood (short enough to fit under the sand pan

My exhaustive search on the subject has given me some thoughts, but I’d sure like to hear yours.

Thanks!

RogueWave

The Smoke Hollow #3 Gasser
IMG_9395.jpg

Chip Tray and Sand Pan Zone (rack complete with brisket leftovers for your viewing pleasure)
IMG_9396.jpg

Burner
IMG_9408.jpg

"Super Beefy" Chip Pan
IMG_9410.jpg

"Super Beefy" Chip Pan (2nd angle)
IMG_9411.jpg

Last edited:
I started out smoking on a similar gas upright.

Firstly, in my experience it didn't really matter much whether I soaked the chips or not. They burn down to those little black sticks and stop smoking in about the same time(not very long). I never had much success with chunks either.

I will say once I found out that the meat doesn't need smoke for the entire time, I just stopped adding more chips and let it cook. It became a real pain refilling that pan every 45 minutes.
All in all I did put out some good food on that thing, and I'm sure you can too, but it wasn't long after finding this place that I found myself wanting to get into charcoal.

In all seriousness if you find yourself there one day, the best advice I can give you is build a UDS. :thumb:

Welocme to the forum!

In all seriousness if you find yourself there one day, the best advice I can give you is build a UDS. :thumb:

Welocme to the forum!
Heh heh heh. Bam! The obligatory "UDS" recommendation in the first reply! You can set your watch by it. :smile:

Seriously, though... I'm already considering it. I know if I ever start competing I'll have to go wood and a few UDS-es seem like a great way to go on a budget. I especially like the ability to get a few winks while they chug along.

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome

Last edited:
Ha, I was actually trying to find a way to say it without sounding like a DH. Turns out it's a tough thing to do. :-D

I don't want to discourage you from using the gasser, just relaying my experience. Whatever way you go, keep cooking and post some pr0n!

Ha, I was actually trying to find a way to say it without sounding like a DH. Turns out it's a tough thing to do. :-D
Yeah, but I think it's good advice and who's to know what the newb knows or doesn't. You made the right call.

I don't want to discourage you from using the gasser, just relaying my experience. Whatever way you go, keep cooking and post some pr0n!
Definitely will do!

And yeah... I don't plan to give up on the gasser so easily and after only 4 cooks. I'm betting I'll get it figured out one way or the other. Seems an AMNTS or even an AMNPS should solve it as a last resort. I'd still like to make the wood chunks work if I can, though.

Nice avatar, BTW. I'm a bit more partial to The Allmans, but much respect to The Dead.

I have a similar smoker with similar issues. 35 degrees is pretty cold to smoke so I'm sure you had to crank the temp up. With that thin chip try, it would seem your chips burned up quick. Add to all this that the smoker has no insulation so you'll be smoking at a higher temp in the cold all your issues make sense. Find an old cast iron skillet and cut off the handle and use that for your chip tray. Also, use good size wood chunks and not chips. The denser the wood (like oak) will smolder better.

I have a similar smoker with similar issues. 35 degrees is pretty cold to smoke so I'm sure you had to crank the temp up. With that thin chip try, it would seem your chips burned up quick. Add to all this that the smoker has no insulation so you'll be smoking at a higher temp in the cold all your issues make sense. Find an old cast iron skillet and cut off the handle and use that for your chip tray. Also, use good size wood chunks and not chips. The denser the wood (like oak) will smolder better.
Thanks!

Thermostat (valve) was set to just a hair over the lowest setting to achieve 225. I did crank it up to 275 after I foiled, but, of course... was no longer applying smoke. I think I was still under the medium setting at this point.

It doesn't leak a whole lot, but I think it's clear that the burner is pretty big for the size of the cab. Should be great for chicken! But hopefully it won't be too hard to keep it down for everything else once the summer heat comes. But then... I'll be able to use the trick I mentioned, i.e. running the valve between "Off" and "Hi/Light."

Also, was using <> 2" cubic chunks. No chips.

I think I'll pick up a cast iron pan at the secondhand store on the way home from work today.

First off, I have zero experience on a gas smoker.

That being said it sounds like your smoking chip box is just too hot on top of the flame causing them to combust too much. What might be a cheap solution for you is to do what a lot of pellet smokers do (a lot of them try to find ways to add more smoke flavor). A company called Amaze N Smokers make little metal baskets that hold smoking pellets, you simply light an end, let it catch fire good, and then put it in your smoker. It will sit there and smolder and smoke for quite some time. Just locate it on the bottom rack. You could also try to make your own little basket to do the same thing too.

This is just an option to possibly try since you already have a smoker.

First off, I have zero experience on a gas smoker.

That being said it sounds like your smoking chip box is just too hot on top of the flame causing them to combust too much. What might be a cheap solution for you is to do what a lot of pellet smokers do (a lot of them try to find ways to add more smoke flavor). A company called Amaze N Smokers make little metal baskets that hold smoking pellets, you simply light an end, let it catch fire good, and then put it in your smoker. It will sit there and smolder and smoke for quite some time. Just locate it on the bottom rack. You could also try to make your own little basket to do the same thing too.

This is just an option to possibly try since you already have a smoker.
I appreciate that. Yeah, I had mentioned the Amazens to Fingerlickin' above. They are definitely on my radar. I'm considering them somewhat of a last resort at this point. I'd like to see if I can get chunks to work first.

I never cooked on a Gas Belcher but I have cooked some BBQ.
Use man fist sized DRY chunks 2 at a time
Let the chunks burn to ash. Just because you don't see smoke don't mean you aint getting flavor. The good stuff happens after the wood is carbonized.
Run the intake air Wide open that pit needs to breath the better it breaths the cleaner the Smoke.

Thanks, Bludawg.

I have less than 2" between wood box and water (sand-filled) pan.

Does the mystical smoke ring still appear with nearly invisible smoke?

I ran an experiment last night. I'm posting the notes below. I'm also running a second one right now where I leave the vents open until TBS. Prolly post those notes this evening or soon after.

Smoke Hollow #3 – Smoke Test 1

Temps via Digital Thermometer. Probe hanging from top rack.

• Cast Iron Chip Box – I believe it’s a Char-Broil
  • Apple – 2 big chunks, 1 medium chunk spaced apart
  • Ambient temp – 34.5F & foggy
  • 6:51 – Start set to “Med.” Vents open
  • 6:58 – TBS observed. Valve backed off to between Lo and Med
  • 7:01 – 263F
  • 7:03 – More smoke. Not billowing, though
  • 7:07 – 264F. TWS. Opened to check for burn. No burn. Closed Vents.
  • 7:13 – 275F. Has been billowing TWS
  • 7:19 – 283F. TWS. Turned valve down a hair
  • 7:24 – 277F. Opened lower vents again. Billowing TWS
  • 7:33 – 276F. TBS. Closed lower vents
  • 7:52 – 289F. TBS. Turned valve down another whisker
  • 8:06 – 279F. No visible smoke, but smoke scent definitely present at exhaust
  • 8:15 – 277F. TBS just visible with flashlight
  • 8:32 – 283F. TBS
  • 8:54 – Faint TBS via flashlight. Smoke scent still definitely present
  • 9:20 – 280F. Faint TBS scent only
  • 9:37 – 275F. Very little smoke scent. Shut down. Chunks mostly powdery white ash.

• 26 minutes of TWS
  • 2 straight hours of TBS
  • About 40 minutes from start to beginning of 2 hour TBS run

So worst case, if my experiments don't produce better results, I can start the Q with the wood box filled, stabilize my target temp and load the meat at about the 40 minute mark. Then I'll have 2 hours of TBS.

If I want 2 more, I'll have to suffer 26 minutes (give or take) of TWS.

This while using only 6 - 2 cu in chunks.

That said, me experimentation is leading me to believe that the TWS period is going to be about the same regardless of how full the wood box. So I'm leaning toward filling it for the initial sesh. There'll be tons of TWS, but the meat will be going on after. Then the TBS should be more substantial.

2nd round can be 2 chunks so that the TWS won't be quite so bad (second experiment showing this.)

Does the mystical smoke ring still appear with nearly invisible smoke
Answered my own question. For those who didn't know either, the answer is yes.

Simply put, you just need...

Combustion
Salt
Moisture

Here's a good thread that delves into it...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116209

So things are looking up. My current experiment has me running at over 3 hours with clear smoke noted by plenty of scent out of the exhaust. And I figure I can always use the gas grill to pre-smoke a few chunks for about 40 minutes (to get past the TWS point) if I want more than 3 hours of smoke.

Still going to run some other experiments, though. And will probably still get a cast iron skillet.

Put 2 extra chunks in the bottom out side the pan to pre heat by doing so It will cut down on the White smoke add them as needed,

Update:

Well I tried just about everything with little, if any success.

I finally got smart, gave up and bought a 12". A-MAZE-N AMNTS tube smoker. Review Here

Now not a day goes by that I don't want to cue something.

Happy days are here at last!!!

Some TWS is not going to hurt, as long as it is not for the majority of the smoke. If you are saying on a 2 1/2 hour smoke you had about 30 minutes of TWS, I would think it would be ok. At least mine has. Maybe I like more smoke than others. All I am saying is that you do not need 100% TBS. There are actually times when you may want a thicker smoke for shorter cooking times.

Back