THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DMosher

Knows what a fatty is.
I received my gateway today. Had some trouble setting it up at first but works great now. On initial set up be close to your wifi router. Here is a link to the thermoworks set up video. Give it a watch first to see the steps.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guLi5RueoNY"]Smoke Gateway Setup - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for the link. My gateway comes tomorrow (and I received an instructional email from Thermoworks today as well). All I need now is a big old hunk of meat!

Mine is on the way, I have crappy Internet and am on a satellite for internet, 10G limit up or down. On the video it says synchs from gateway to what I guess is the cloud every minute with no way to adjust that time. I wonder how big those data transfers are, shouldn't be big but 1M x 60min x 10hours = 600M as an example for a 10 hour cook. Just curious ...

Mine is on the way, I have crappy Internet and am on a satellite for internet, 10G limit up or down. On the video it says synchs from gateway to what I guess is the cloud every minute with no way to adjust that time. I wonder how big those data transfers are, shouldn't be big but 1M x 60min x 10hours = 600M as an example for a 10 hour cook. Just curious ...

I can't imagine the amount of data being more than a few KBs per update. It's just passing a few numbers.

I got my email from them yesterday and asked via email about the size. They replied in less than an hour with a statement that said even if I used it everyday it would only use .05G for the month. So bandwidth shouldn't be an issue but I will still monitor it. It shows their support team is on the ball too. I am looking forward to using it.

Thanks for the link. I have been expecting to buy one of those, but am disappointed to see that "registration" is required. There is no technical reason for this. It is simply a way to build a marketing database that they can use and sell without being hampered by any privacy constraints. They can also secretly keep track of our cooks if they want to.

I guess I'll have to give them a burner email account. Annoying.

I can't get mine to pair up at all because I can't get the wifii to set up correctly. It never asks me for the wifii name or password so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Back