Small Beef Filet Stuffed w/Bleu Cheese

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Howdy!!

Well, the other day at costco, I'd seen whole prime grade beef filets for about $16.99. I found a small one and decided to use that Good Eats episode "Tender is the Loin" that I'd had saved on my DVR for 2 years.

I watched it and learned how easy it is to clean and trim a whole filet.

I cut steaks off it, but I followed his suggestion for the little 'roast' type attachment on one end.

I butterflied the thing open. I salt and peppered both sides...I heated up my Lodge Cast iron griddle over two burners on my stove...and just browned up both sides of the beef...and then set aside to cool for like 30 min.

ON the inside part where I'd opened it and made my cuts, I coated lightly with dijon mustard, and then a good bit of quality bleu cheese. I then, tied the roast up to seal it.

I had had the BGE XL going for about an hour with my baked potato. I took off the tater and put the beef bundle on at about 450F.

It only took about 7 minutes, give or take to get an internal reading of about 125F-128F.

I took it off and let it rest.

Here's the pic of it when I sliced it in two...man, this was a great experiment.

And as for the steak, WOW...cleaning and prepping the beef filet, to me, is by far the easiest of all primal type cuts to work with. I generally prefer a strip steak for my steak endeavors...to me it just has a more "steak-y" flavor.

But these filets and this little roast thing have been really great.

ON my regular filet steaks I cut (approx 1.5 inches thick)..I threw in the BGE at 800F for like 3 minutes per side and got a perfect medium-medium-rare.

Anyway, my first real shot at BBQ Brethren Pr0n.
:)

cayenne

Attachments

• Stuffed_Filet_web.jpg
    Stuffed_Filet_web.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 94
Well, after 11 years here before your first real pr0n, you sure kicked the door down on that one! That's one gorgeous plate, please feel free to share more cooks!

Back