THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have only done that a couple of times. I used an old plastic colander. I have thought about making a larger wood frame and some hardware fencing to spread them thinner. It took a lot of shaking and such with the colander.

I do sift the pellets at the bottom because it is mostly dust.

I bought a sifter from Amazon that fits nicely over a 5 gallon bucket. Look up “ SE 13 1/4 Inch Stackable Classifier Gold Prospecting Pan - 1/8 Inch Stainless Steel Mesh Sifting Pan, Green”

Last edited:
Don't know much about pellet smokers or grills so sorry if this is a dumb question but why do you need to sift them?
Can't you burn the dust as well or does it cause issues?

Dust + moisture = concrete for your auger, which will now be stuck and require digging out all the pellets, vacuuming, and poking out the mess with a screwdriver if you're lucky. Some people get a bad enough jam that disassembly of the auger mechanism is needed.

Same can happen with just the pellets absorbing moisture after a good rain, if your smoker lets in enough water.

I have been cooking with pellets for 10 years and never sifted them for any reason. I have also never had a failure in any of my pellet grills. I do the prescribed maintenance between cooks and everything runs perfectly.

I sift pellets in a colander, then warm in the microwave before lighting my cold smoking tube. Really helps, but I'm using a very small amount at a time.

8KuG5Cb.jpg

Slowly pour (trickle) pellets into hopper from 12+ inches above hopper when there is a breeze...stand upwind...pellet dust blows away.

If you do not want the dust flying all over you grilling area, you could do this into a bucket in another location where you don't mind the dust blowing.

I appreciate all the replies. I've had the exact problem SmokeOCD described. It's likely attributed to being gone for long periods of time for work. I put a cover on it when we leave but still have clogged/stuck pellets in the auger.

I ordered the one recommended by Shadowdog 500.

Thank you all!!
Randy

Not sure where Canyon Lake is located but sounds like a high humidity location. Up here on the High Plains 30% is high humidity. Usually much lower often negative dew point. Your pellets possibly absorb moisture mine get drier.i don't sift, however when I get to the last inch or two of the bottom of the bag of Pit Boss, I've been known to toss the crumbles.

Back