Should I get a WSM 18?

Smokey Al Gold

is One Chatty Farker
Wow I can't believe I haven't posted in forever! After joining team husbands it seems like I have not had time for anything anymore. However I am still cooking and I recently got the bug to get a WSM. I have a choice between a 14 and an 18. They're used on offerup but the 18 is going for 200

https://offerup.com/item/detail/721394799/

https://offerup.com/item/detail/752064928/

and the 14 for 40 bucks. I think it would be too small but looks cool. My question is the 18 has been used 5 times looks to be in great shape is 200 reasonable? Do I need either of these? No (YES!) but why not if it's a good deal right? I think I came to the right place to be talked out of these. Hope all my old friends are doing well!

Wow! Long time! Like a really long time!

Anyway - you know the answer - get them both! I believe $200 is probably good for that 18, but not as good as when I found one in great condition on the curb down the street from me a couple months back! :whoo:

$200 for 18 is too high IMO. It retails new for like $300 so I would think $100-$150 would be more reasonable price. You can get brand new Oklahoma Joe Bronco at select Walmarts for under $200 easily and some places as low as $100.

$40 for 14 is good deal. It's hard to even build Weber Smokey Joe "Mini" conversion for that price. I would skip the 18 and wait for better deal and buy the 14.

I've had both and the 14" is really small and I couldn't recommend it even for $40. The 18" is a much better unit in every way.

I appreciate all the suggestions. The 22 is way too big for my needs I think and too costly at the moment but I like to do butts, ribs and briskets from time to time so i'm leaning more toward the 18. I can smoke great in the kettle but when we have a party or gathering i'm constantly scrambling to get food out quickly.

If you got a good lead on an 18 and it's round, at a good discount, then snatch it up! There's a good reason they don't show up for sale too often.

I had two 18" WSM's and sold both of them after buying a PBC. For me, the PBC works better.

I did make good food on them but it was just more work trying to get and keep the temps where I wanted them.

I have a 14,18 and 22. 22 gets 90% usage.I only use 14 without the water pan inserted for chicken(like a dumb drum),18 has not been used in quite a while.It is O.K. for small cooks but I do not do many of those.I can pretty much cook anything on the 26 Kettle that the 18 wsm can do.Just me.

I've had both and the 14" is really small and I couldn't recommend it even for $40. The 18" is a much better unit in every way.

If your are cooking and smoking small, the 14 is hard to beat.

I can do more ham at one time then I can eat in two weeks. A pork butt works well on it too.

The 18 is nice when you need two hams for example because it doesn't restrict air flow as much.

My 18 was $120 and cooked in once or twice. The 14 was similar and a little cheaper. Both were really good purchasers for me. YMMV

Back