Seeking feedback on smoke flavor intensity in a vertical water smoker (Backwoods style)

Siberian

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hi all... This is my first post.

I currently have an old Home Depot (Charbroil) offset smoker that is rusted out and ready to be replaced. I typically use lump charcoal mixed with various wood chunks, and enjoyed the results.

In my research to find a new smoker, I have come to the conclusion that I want a vertical cabinet style for more rib capacity and slide out configurable racks.

I like the idea of the cabinet type smokers (i.e. Backwoods, Humphreys) and it seems they use the same type of fuel that I am used to...(lump charcoal and wood mix). With that said, is it reasonable to expect I should get the same type of flavor results as I am used to?

The other type of smoker i am considering is a vertical offset stick burner. Still vertical, but is a true stick burner. I have no reference for the difference in flavor when using a stick burner, so I don't know if I should expect vastly different results.

I like the idea of the stick burner simply because I enjoy the experience of tending the fire, however the idea of set and forget is also intriguing in some ways.

So the bottom line question is this... Compared to a typical cheapo offset using mainly lump charcoal and wood chunks, how might you describe the results on a sealed cabinet upright using the same type of charcoal/wood, and an offset stick burner upright using just wood splits?

At the end of the day I'm wondering if I am over-thinking this in a classic case of analysis paralysis.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Using pure wood in a offset will produce better results then using charcoal and wood chunks
in a vertical smoker , from my experience
That being said I use my Spicewine most off the time , not that much difference and it is a lot more convenient ..

You could get heavy or light depending on the wood and how much you use

There is very slight difference in my UDS and my Stick Burner cooks.

Last edited:
I have both and the offset has a little better wood flavor. I use the insulated cabinet 90% of the time. I use a lot more wood chunks to get a little more wood flavor. It's just so much easier. I don't use lump I use Stubb's.

I have a UDS and an older horizontal offset. I tend to get a little different smoke flavor from my offset because I can change up what type of wood I burn. I like my uds but the drippings on the coals I think also changes the taste, not in a bad way just different. As far as tending fire a good quality offset only needs a split added every 45 minutes to an hour and is good to go. I have found here lately I am firing up the offset to do most of my cooking.

I have both a Pitmaker Vault (reverse flow vertical cabinet) and a very large Shirley offset stick burner. The Shirley is a reverse flow as well in the horizontal cooking chamber. The built in vertical on the Shirley can be direct fired or draft fed from the horizontal chamber or a combination of both through the opening and closing of dampers. All that said, with proper loading and fire management, one would be hard pressed to notice any difference in smoke quality from any of the above. If the cook does his or hers job, both units are more than up to the task of producing very high quality and properly smoked meat. In my humble opinion, the reverse flow cabinets have been perfected to the point that they can directly compete with off sets if the cook does his part and monitors the fire as he should. The vertical cabinets have come a long way since the 80's. To some degree, the off set will always be the pinnacle rig and with just cause. It is a design that has changed little since its inception and still can not be bested. Equaled? Yes, but not bested. You can not go wrong with either. I own and personally use both for different cooking needs. Whole hog or goat goes to the off set for obvious reasons. For small everyday cooks or 1 or 2 primals, this is where the vertical shines. Again I can't speak for the direct fired verticals but the reverse flow ones can more than hold their own with anything in the smoking arena if you manage your fire properly.

As the old saying goes..."it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian."
I like my new stick burner and I'm slowly getting used to it's quirks. But you'll eventually master whatever smoker you get and be content with it. It won't stop you from wanting more smokers. There's no cure for that.

Thank you all for the helpful comments. This gives me some more to think about. I also called the folks at the bbq store in st louis and spoke with someone who also suggested you can achieve fairly intense flavor on a Humphreys battle box if using wood chunks.

So it's either the battle box, or a Lonestar Grillz 20x20 vertical offset. Sealed cabinet vs stick burner. Both come in around the same approximate cost. I can drive down to St Louis from Chicago to pick up the battle box and fit it in the back of the minivan. The lonestar, however, would have to be shipped from Houston. Sales tax plus gas money for the Battle Box is almost a wash compared to shipping cost of the Lonestar.

Both have roughly the same capacity... At least enough for my needs.

The lonestar will require more work to run, needing more attention hourly to tend the fire. Battle box will be more set and forget. I don't mind so much tending the fire. While the set and forget idea is intriguing, I'm one of those sick individuals who actually enjoys the "up all night" process. So that's sort of a non issue.

Flavor, as far as i can tell, will not be an issue for either.

The Lonestar is self contained, and is its' own cart. For the Battle Box, i would need to build a cart or set-in station. Ultimately, they both take up the same floor space. However cost advantage goes to Lonestar since I would have to choke over some additional money to fabricate the cart for battle box.

Now here's where it gets dicey... The battle box uses the type of fuel I am accustomed to working with, (charcoal and wood chunks) and is readily available. So probably less of a learning curve to get up and running. Not that that's a big deal, since I am usually a quick learner and have little concern about learning stick burning. But with the lonestar, it's not as easy to find wood splits locally where I live. It's not a simple matter of a 5 minute drive to Home Depot or Menards to grab a few bags of cowboy lump and some apple chunks. It would take real advanced planning to secure wood splits online. Nobody around here (Chicago area) seems to sell wood splits.

Looks... I like the look of both. They would both look awesome on my patio/ outdoor kitchen area, but all else being equal, I do like the Lonestar looks a little better. It just seems more "cool". I know that's somewhat trivial, but worth something nonetheless.

Finally, cleanup. I've heard the water pan thing can be quite messy to clean up. And since you can't hose down the inside of an insulated cabinet, i think perhaps the advantage goes to Lonestar here.

So I wonder if this decision will come down to the simple issue of fuel availability.

Man, this is a tough decision to agonize over.

Any additional insights or input regarding the points above?

LSG: get the warming oven...then you can cook with wood or charcoal. there has to be somebody that sells firewood in Chicago. I see plenty of them on craigslist. Not sure how close they are to you.

Humphrey's: you do not have to use water. works better without water if you cook hot and fast. just put a pan in water pan or foil it and just throw it away when the cook is done.

I would make sure what ever you get can fit full size pans. You may not cook in pans at this time but it is a nice option to have.

Looks: nothing wrong with buying something pleasing to the eyes. that was one of the reasons I bought my biggest cooker. It just looks cool to me.:-D

I am not sure about your budget, but the Lone Star Grillz insulated cabinet smoker would be a set it and forget smoker.

Budget is about $1500, plus shipping or transportation, and that's pushing it. I know people suggested an UDS. For the record, I'm just not interested in that. I want something with pull out racks like an oven, for easy access to the food, and asthetically speaking, it just won't work in my yard.

Both the battle box and the lonestar vertical will fit full size pans.

Back