Sealing up a COS offset

slevy007

Found some matches.
Hey guys,

Steve here from Baltimore. I had some questions, and was wondering if you guys could help me out.

I just bought a Landmann offset... Brinkmann Trailmaster LE Offset clone.
I got a latch and gasket kit that will seal off the cooking chamber and firebox door, and a baffle for it. I have been reading around, and a lot of people use red RTV to seal the two halves of the firebox, the junction between the firebox and cook chamber, and the cook chamber to smoke stack. What are you guys' thoughts? I am most concerned about using the RTV around the firebox, because doesn't the firebox get hotter than the RTV's max temp?
Also, has anyone here used a Heater Meter setup for an offset?

Thanks for any help,
Steve

I agree with Smitty. I went through a lot of RTV and fireproof stripping and it wasn't until I researched here after joining that I found out that I was trying to use my offset for something that it wasn't meant for, which means that I was trying to use and regulate the heat burning charcoal when I should have been burning sticks the whole time. The heat in the firebox got hot enough to burn off the 650* RTV each time I reapplied it. I further found out that in order to regulate the heat, you regulate the size of the fire. Made sense then and still does.

So a heater meter couldnt be used when burning sticks?

I've found fan regulators work more with something stable as coals or even wood coals. If you're burning logs, there will be too many wild up swings in temps if your blower starts doing its thing.

I've found fan regulators work more with something stable as coals or even wood coals. If you're burning logs, there will be too many wild up swings in temps if your blower starts doing its thing.

I got ya. Ok thanks for the help.

So if I use the minion method, that should work? Some people have had success with the minion way in offsets

So if I use the minion method, that should work? Some people have had success with the minion way in offsets

Yes, assuming your smoker has been sealed correctly. I would do coals as a base and throw a log on it. Coals alone may not get you up to temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're trying to drive a screw with a hammer. You should read that 2nd link in Smitty's post (here again for your convenience).

Unfortunately, my wife bought the offset for my birthday, and I doubt I can return it... The wife would be disappointed and I think the return window at BJs is closed... A nice thing, but maybe the most ideal bc I didn't realize that I couldn't rig it for a little more set it and forget itish

Yes, assuming your smoker has been sealed correctly. I would do coals as a base and throw a log on it. Coals alone may not get you up to temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So in that case, I would need to seal up the seams of the firebox?...

If you want more "set it and forget it", I see a UDS, WSM, Backwoods, Humphreys or something similar in your future. Tell the wife that ALL the Brethren have multiple cookers. I totally get the whole gift thing- I got a 4 burner SS monster Brinkmann propane grill for Fathers day almost 15 years ago. I hate that grill with every fiber of my being...but I can't get shed of it.

So in that case, I would need to seal up the seams of the firebox?...

Nope- just dump in a chimney of lit coals and add a stick of wood every so often to keep temp in a "range". You may end up running part wood and part charcoal instead of straight charcoal or straight wood.

It will get the job done.

Back