SD's Okinawan Pastrami Experience (semi-real time w/ Pr0n!)

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Greetings from the Ryukus, Pharkers!

It's Black Friday here :)shocked:), and I've decided to steer clear of the traditional Holiday crowds by immersing myself in the world of barbecue and smoked meats.

On tap today is another round of pastrami production... the last one I made was back in Wicken, East Cambs, UK in 2013. It's time for a repeat!

I purchased a Hormel pre-corned beef brisket flat from the local commissary, brought her home, thawed her, and started the fresh water soak to draw out much of the "extra" sodium. I've changed the water every 12-18 hours for the past 2 days as she lived in the 'fridge.

I really should've rubbed and wrapped her yesterday (Thanksgiving), but we were hip-deep in some excellent brisket by my smoking mentor (along with plenty of traditional turkey and sides).

I pulled the corned brisket from the bag and let her rest/warm/dry for a while:
IMG_0920_zpsf48a3910.jpg

Meanwhile, I whipped up a batch of pastrami rub from this link:http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.co.uk/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html

Here's the quick recipe for the rub:
4 parts ground peppercorns
4 parts ground coriander seeds 2 parts Turbinado sugar
2 parts ground Juniper berries 1 part ground onion powder
1 part thyme, ground
1 part paprika
1 part ground garlic powder
1 part ground ginger
1/2 part ground cloves
1/2 part ground nutmeg

I used tsp as the units, and it worked out right nicely.

Having made the rub, I gave her a liberal dousing after notching a corner to mind the grain:
IMG_0921_zps0e706a6a.jpg

I've got the smoker running at 225F with some hickory (strong enough to give some flavor, but not overpower).
IMG_0923_zpsc1b8290a.jpg

What's the thick grey cable and weird probe-lookin' thing!?
- I purchased a Range Coal temp probe from the folks at SuperMechanical... its iOS app and the fact that it'll send alerts to other iOS devices made it a nice "toy" to try this Thanksgiving. I'll let you know how it goes.

IMG_1529_zps13354ee3.png

So, the grub's been in the smoker for about 30 minutes, and she's running well. Temp's up to about 85F and rising. Time to whip up my Wicken Yanks' Original rub and get these 2 pork butts and 5 sausage fatties ready for tomorrow's monster (for me) smoke session!

More as it happens. Best regards and Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
ShadowDriver

After doing some more reading to make sure I'm headed for the right internal temp (different for a pre-corned brisket) of about 185F, I checked on the sauna.

I gave the Range App another tweak and rearranged the alerts I'd like to have (to keep me in-the-loop with the smoking progress). Meanwhile, she's ticking along and approaching the 160F stall.

IMG_1531_zpse1e7d2f9.png

I had a quick peek at the pastrami. I've got a nice crust of spices going, and I dare hope that some of the smoke is making the already pink (from the corning process) meat a bit nicer shade of "smoke ring."

IMG_0928_zps374b7cde.jpg

Thanks for the interest...

Meanwhile... I, like Sir Mixalot, like Big "Boston" Butts...
IMG_0926_zpse3983c7b.jpg

- 2 nice pork butts all rubbed down and now wrapped and resting in the fridge before their date with the smoker.

Cheers!
SD

I pulled the pastrami when it hit 185F internal and wrapped her in foil before giving her a rest in a 160F oven for a bit.

You'll note the deep pink color of the meat from the corning process. Unfortunately, no smoke ring to be seen. That said, I sliced her as thinly as I can (really need to get a nice rotary slicer machine for the next time I do this), and the flavor was fantastic.

2014-11-28180301HDR_zps2d82963c.jpg

We decided to use this lovely stuff to whip up a batch of Reuben sandwiches... While heating some sauerkraut in its own saucepan, I generally treated the sandwich like a grilled cheese... bit of buttered and spicy mustarded seeded rye bread topped with swiss cheese, the pastrami, and another slice of swiss. Flipped 'em at the 5 minute mark with some more butter to keep up the caramelization process. Once done, we pried the halves apart to apply the kraut and a bit of Russian dressing.

2014-11-28184142_zpsbf8dfe71.jpg

Here's the finished product:
2014-11-28183201_zps5e959667.jpg

and

2014-11-28184453_zps657e5b22.jpg

Please excuse the cider in my glass on the left and Mrs. SD's homemade kimchi in the jars on the right.

Have a great Black Friday! We'll keep 'em smoking through the weekend out here in the Pacific!

ShadowDriver

That looks great, SD! I always use Thirdeye's pastrami rub when I do mine!

You won't notice a smoke ring with pastrami because of the cure in the corned beef. It's basically the same color all the way through.

How did the remote probe work out? I've never heard of that brand but I like the looks of the app.

Now... Not ot hijack, but I will :-D

Does Mrs. SD have a secret kimchi recipe or will she share? I made my first kimchi about two weeks ago. I tasted it last Sunday and it was very good, but I'm letting it ferment longer.

That looks great, SD! I always use Thirdeye's pastrami rub when I do mine!

Cheers, Ron! I've been very pleased with it each time... the smell alone (just after I whip up a batch of rub) is fantastic!

How did the remote probe work out? I've never heard of that brand but I like the looks of the app.

The Range probe worked very well. I've been impressed with the overall user interface thus far. It's now just after midnight and I put those pork butts in the smoker with the probe in the bigger of the two. We'll see how it plays out with a bigger/longer cook.

Does Mrs. SD have a secret kimchi recipe or will she share? I made my first kimchi about two weeks ago. I tasted it last Sunday and it was very good, but I'm letting it ferment longer.

Her first batch was ah-mazing, but the second batch wasn't nearly as tasty. Let's see how this third batch comes out and then we'll talk. It's 4 quarts this time, and they've been fermenting on the counter for a good... 4-5 days thus far. More to come. (Harass me if you don't hear anything in a week or so).

Kind regards,
SD

Looks good SD. Can you give more details on the probe? Google search finds nothing...

Nice set-up in Japan I must say! Looking good there chief! Send some to Handa huh? Help a honkey out!
Greetings from Honshu.

Last edited:
Looks good SD. Can you give more details on the probe? Google search finds nothing...

Strange, that. Here's their website: http://supermechanical.com/range/

You'll note that they have several different types for different uses. I have the Coal (meant for the grill or oven) and the Aqua (meant to go in a pot for candy making or brewing, etc.).

Hrmph... interesting.. I don't see the Coal offered on their site... just the ember (just about the same thing).

Hope that helps.
SD

Thanks! Interesting, but not sure I want to leave my phone out by the grill.

Back