San Antonio BBQ

ckbrown10

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Chris
Brethren,

I am heading down to San Antonio this weekend for the Final Four (Go KU!) and am looking forward to checking out the top BBQ spots and comparing them to my favorite spots in Kansas City (Joes, Slaps, Q39.)

Would love to hear suggestions for spots in and around San Antonio, unfortunately I don't have time for Franklins but will be driving through Austin both ways also.

Thanks!

Chris

BBQ near san antonio

Lockhart, TX is 71 miles from San Antonio. Four very good BBQ joints there, Krause's, Black's, Smitty's, Chisholm Trail. No long lines anywhere.

this is a good spot to make a quick pit stop on your way through Austin, John Mueller Meat Co. Just a trailer, this is the guy that Franklin used to work for(he was also featured on one of Antony Bourdains shows). There are several spots in San Antonio, but for quick in and out service and good bbq, the Leon Springs location Rudy's. It's the original location.

If you want to try something other than bbq, ChockDee filipino buffet (cheap and good), and Kung Fu Noodle (Lamb noodle soup with hand pulled noodle)

Last edited:
2M Smokehouse is very close to Franklin style BBQ. Head Pitmaster used to work under John Lewis.. who used to work for AF...

Coopers Meat Market just north of downtown has BBQ "Fridays". He's a great BBQ cook, always very tasty brisket and ribs.

Hays County BBQ in San Marcos is also very good.

Snows is a long drive.

Keep in mind that most of Austins best is "open till sold out". Do your research on what time "sold out" usually is.

Also the farther you stray off the freeway, the shorter the line and later they will be open, typically.

Whatever you decide, skip Rudy's. Its disgusting boiled BBQ you have to drown in sauce to make it edible.

Last edited:
Don't forget City Market in Luling. It's not too far away.

ETA - While not BBQ Mi Tierra in the Mexican market is good but I hear they are not CCW friendly if that matters to you.

Back