Saigon 21 Baby Dragon

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Took the kids to Medieval Times years ago when they were little, the Server/Wench said the food was Baby Dragon (Cornish Hen). They still call it Baby Dragon to this day! :pound:

So I made some for the Yardbird Throwdown. Went to SE Asia with some Oakridge BBQ Saigon 21. Never been to Vietnam, but if the food tastes this good, I need to go!

Marinated overnight then on to the Big Joe indirect to get some smoke. (This is a BBQ site after all)

pVaxIIfh.jpg

Cooked the marinade down some and gave the birds a few coats flipping every now & then...

VezuAHFh.jpg

Plated up with some butter rice with Saigon 21, soy, fish sauce & veggies. A tomato, onion, cuke salad with Saigon 21. Remember I said almost every culture has this salad. I found yet another one. Picture doesn't show how crispy the skin was. WOW!

iYR6mX1h.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Looks fantastic. I like Saigon 21 a lot. I would like details on the marinade, butter rice and dressing you used on the salad if you don't mind. Love some baby chickens (dragons) on the grill or smoker.

Thanks,

Robert

The yardbird looks amazing, but that rice has my eye as well. Details on the marinade/reduction?

I would like details on the marinade, butter rice and dressing you used on the salad if you don't mind.

For the birds, I ran across this recipe. Used it as a starting point https://suesseasonalpalate.com/?p=4421

Mine was:

2T Soy Sauce
2T Fish Sauce
2T White Wine (I never have sherry in the house)
1T Saigon 21
1t Sugar
4 Cloves Garlic minced
2 Green onions, white & green sliced up

Let marinade overnight, then when the birds went on, threw the leftover marinade in a small pot to boil it up good and thicken up a bit, no need for salmonella. Out of honey, so I added a splash of maple syrup to sweeten it up some more.

Rice is just a version of a regular butter rice recipe. Melt butter in rice cooker, adjust amount based on the amount of rice you use, I used 3-4T for this, add rice, stir to coat and cook a bit, add your liquid, I used half chicken stock and half water, added a few good splashes of soy sauce & fish sauce, squeeze 1/2 lime, maybe a tsp of Saigon 21 and a splash of sesame oil. After cooking, I added about a cup of frozen veggies and let keep warm while everything else finished up.

Salad was just chopped up tomato, onion, pickling cucumber, cilantro. Dressing a vinaigrette of 2 tsp soy sauce, squeeze other half of lime. 1/2 tsp Saigon 21 and maybe 1tsp sesame oil as it's easy to overpower the taste.

Last edited:
That's some world class cooking, and even finer looking food, Andy!

Back