rub co. hot wings and pizza dinner

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
i finally got a chance to do some cooking with the rub co. hot wing rub. i thought a nice pie would go very well with them so i made that too. :cool:
here's some pics and info on my journey.

i coated the wings in a bit of peanut oil. @ 1/4 cup for @ 18 wings. i then added a 1/4 cup of the rub. and let sit in a ziplock in the fridge for a couple hours. the rub has a very fine powdered component, which, if not handled gently, will get in the air and will make you sneeze/cough from the spice. i kinda like that. it suggested good things to come. :becky: after a couple hours i coated both sides again and they were ready for the cooker.

RUBCOWINGS1.JPG

i cooked them indirect in the kettle @ 275* for @ 1 hour. i then raked the coals to get some direct heat on them. here they are off the cooker. very nice looking. :becky:

RUBCOWINGS2.JPG

i enjoyed the rub very much. it was much subtler than i was expecting. the heat just enough to warm the tongue and really brought out the great flavor of wangs. in the future i think i'll add some HDD. i really like that you can step it up in heat level if you'd like or enjoy as is.

for the pizza i'm working on a vera napolatean pizza. i'm using a starter culture from sourdo.com for the dough, san marzano tomatoes, and authentic buffalo mozz. a recipe based on versano's actually. i was given a red sky pizza stone for christmas and a new peel. :clap2: both worked great. i cooked the pie in my kettle @ 500* for @ 10 minutes. i can't seem to get the temp any higher. i'm gonna get some lump and see how that goes. pie is a tough pron cuz you gotta move so quick when assembling, but here is the finished product.

PIZZA.JPG

the flavors are excellent, and the dough is good, but i'm not getting the poof or oven spring i'm looking for yet. i think i'll add some commercial bakers yeast to see if that helps.
thanks for looking.

Nice job!

I use the starter from them also and really like it.

So, this is a sourdough crust? Hmm... never tasted that, but would certainly like to. Looks delicious! :wink:

Nice job!

I use the starter from them also and really like it.

have you established a suitable time frame to activate the dormant culture?

the timeline in the book simply doesn't fit into a working and sleeping humans schedule. even on the week-ends, it's impossible.

have you established a suitable time frame to activate the dormant culture?

the timeline in the book simply doesn't fit into a working and sleeping humans schedule. even on the week-ends, it's impossible.

I did mine over a holiday or otherwise I don't think you can find the hours together to do it boogie

Back