Royal Oak Lump $4.99

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Menards has 8.8 lb. bags of Royal Oak for $4.99. Being new to using lump, is this a good deal & is this a good brand?

ROLump.jpg

I've used RO lump and like it. I'd stock up at that price. The best smoke taste I've ever gotten on a butt I used RO, Lazzari and some hickory chunks on my drum.

Royal Oak is primarily what I use, since Cowboy brand cut back on putting their free frogs and cement in their bags. I believe the regular price at Home Depot is about $13 for about 15 pounds. They have it on sale once or twice a year where I'm at. If that were around me, I'd stock up.

I picked up a bag at Walmart cause it's so cheap. I haven't used it in years because I found plywood in it. I cooked with it yesterday and it was fine. No plywood and actually nice pieces, smoked like crazy in the chimney but once it all got going it cleaned up and smelled good. The quality seems to have improved and at .50 per lb. smoking good deal

It's a great price Andy, I prefer the eight pound bags because it fills my charcoal tray perfectly... Good for a 12 - 14 hour cook.

Local outfit carries 40lb bags of lump charcoal. Only real disadvantage is that it is mesquite which is fine of course if you want to cook with mesquite. 40lb bag is $13. (normal price $13.85, currently on sale at $12.74) Restaurant supply stores are a wonder. Makes Costco and Sam's club look like silly posers. The one here is Cash and Carry. They are pretty much west coast only though. Should be something similar just about everywhere.

Back