Reverse seared tri tip on the Weber smokefire

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
1st cook on the new smokefire. Decided to start with something easy, so I went with tri tip. I smoked at 250 for a while, then gradually increased the heat until it hit around 120. I then cranked it up to 600 to see if it would sear it. Had no problems getting to 600. Seared fairly well. Overall product was very good. Very easy to use and happy with the performance so far. No complaints.
d96a2ecfd2f922247e97bfba89adfe63.jpg
b6f169378d2deb0cba749cb9433d8d92.jpg
0f39376444ebc4843e6ac563a1297170.jpg

Congrats Kaptain, good looking cook! I'm working through my issues with Weber, and hope you avoid any.

Looks very tasty from here, I would be into that

I've had mine since early December. I've always had issues with pellet feeding and have recently been experiencing some big temp swings during cooks greater than 1 hour.

The silver insert one the right side of your hopper was supposed to fix the pellet feed issues from Gen 1, but from what I've been experiencing (and reading), its still a common problem. I've read that a fix is to either polish the right side hopper ramp with 0000 steel wool; or, spray it with food grade silicone; or, apply super-slippery UHMW tape to it. When time allows, I'm going to try the last one and see if it works. On the temp swing issue, Weber is working with me to diagnose what is going on.

The most recent quirk I've found is that condensation can form inside your pellet hopper lid, under certain conditions. Others have also experienced this. Just something to watch out for during humid weather, falling temperatures, and high-heat cooks - possibly some combo of those things.

For the most part, I've really enjoyed my SF - it makes great food. But it can be a moody critter, in my experience.

Congrats on the new cooker! I nearly pulled the trigger on the improved Smokefire myself, but ended up with the Rec Tec.

Nice to see people cooking up Tri Tip. It's a California thing... we always have it at Costco here, super easy to get, but I've talked to folks back east who have never had it.

I cook a lot of it, and just treat it like a big steak. A little smoke, then high heat to sear. Great stuff, I love it with some horseradish sauce.

Darkstar11 you might try some Kingsford pellets, I don't think you will have any feed issues with them, also they have great flavor, they cost a little more than some but might be worth it , good luck getting it running properly

Back