Reverse Seared Pork Steaks and What Exactly is a Pork Steak - Pr0N!

First, what is a pork steak?
Click here for a lengthy list of different things you can use to smoke and what they pair the best with

Ah... someone else puts wood in foil and sets it in the gas grill to make smoke. I see you used chips, I use chunks. Bravo!

Ah... someone else puts wood in foil and sets it in the gas grill to make smoke. I see you used chips, I use chunks. Bravo!

You use chunks? I might have to try that. I'm having a hard time getting more than maybe 30 minutes of smoke out of the chips. You just wrap a fist sized chunk in foil? Please splain more. TIA...

Growing up in WI I grew up on these. I will take these over pork chops on the grill any day of the week. They make a great leftover hash with mushrooms, potatoes and carrots too!

I Live In Phx , AZ Never heard of a Pork Steak until this thread .... Looks like Ima havta Buy a Butt and slice it up .!!!

Nice job guys !!! I get the strangest looks when I mention Pork Steaks anywhere outside of STL. But then again, most people don't know what Toasted Raviolis are either. :shocked:

Those look killer!! Will have to try them soon, thanks for the info!

NICE!!! We get em.We call the fingers Country Style Ribs.Good Eats! :clap2: What I.T. do you pull the steaks? I'm guessin if you smoke and sear and all it must be a pretty high I.T. Do tell!

You use chunks? I might have to try that. I'm having a hard time getting more than maybe 30 minutes of smoke out of the chips. You just wrap a fist sized chunk in foil? Please splain more. TIA...

Yes, I use fist-sized chunks. I set them on the side burner to get going and then use my tongs to move them to a piece of foil in the gasser. I don't wrap it but the ash stays in the foil. I put the foil over the flame in the back right of the gasser which helps the chunk remain lit.

Since grilling is high heat and most stuff is done in an hour or so, a chunk may last me 2 cooks, sometimes 3. Anyways, the smoke adds another flavor dimension which I and my family love.

Hope this splains it better for ya.

Enjoy! :becky:

Yes, I use fist-sized chunks. I set them on the side burner to get going and then use my tongs to move them to a piece of foil in the gasser. I don't wrap it but the ash stays in the foil. I put the foil over the flame in the back right of the gasser which helps the chunk remain lit.

Since grilling is high heat and most stuff is done in an hour or so, a chunk may last me 2 cooks, sometimes 3. Anyways, the smoke adds another flavor dimension which I and my family love.

Hope this splains it better for ya.

Enjoy! :becky:

Thanks for the splainin'!

I tried this last night. Well, not this in particular. I didn't read this post till just now. What I did was place four small chunks on some foil and filled in with some wood chips in the gaps. I wrapped it up, and then took the grill grate off my far left burner. Then I put what looked like a tin foil parcel down on the flames. It smoked for two hours plus and had more to go when I cut the burners off. With the chips, it was a fine line between wisps of smoke and a forest fire in there. With this, it gave a healthy smoke the whole time.

I might try the side burner deal to get it going faster. It took a little while to get going...

Here in FL we also get pork steaks, I'll take them over a chop anytime, tons more flavor.

Excellent Post GrillinFool! I will be in St. Louis mid-May. Where is this Guy located? Would like to meet him or at least purchase some meat for # 1 Daughter's Graduation cook.

Excellent Post GrillinFool! I will be in St. Louis mid-May. Where is this Guy located? Would like to meet him or at least purchase some meat for # 1 Daughter's Graduation cook.

What guy? The meat cutter in the post? He works at Save-A-Lot grocery store. My dad worked with him until Save-A-Lot decided my dad needed to take early retirement. F*&# Save-A-Lot.

You want to see an excellent meat cutting operation and get top notch meat? Go to Kenrick's. Those guys were taking care of me long before I started GrillinFools.com. Long before I started writing for Char-Broil and testing their new grills. They do it right. They'll skin your ribs for you, give your kids cookies and can show you how to cook a whole pig before they sell you the pig and rent the trailered grill to you. They're the best...

that is awesome. my mom used to make em for us growing up. she used to marinade them in something. the simple sight of your pics reminds me of how i'll be most likely cooking something like this this weekend.

great pics.

Back