Returning to my roots - offset

oldgfbbq

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
G-man
It’s been over five years since I used my offset smoker. It was a fun day getting the pit ready, warmed things up with a bag of charcoal, followed by a couple of sticks while I got acquainted with a new 4 probe thermometer. Interesting watching the temps fluctuate in isolated areas of a relatively small space. Drafted fine between 200-225 degrees, blower got it up to 275. Charcoal and smaller sticks made for a good base with larger sticks later. Goals were to get reacquainted with smoker, repay some favors, and replenish freezer.

The rig.

Early Fire

Pork spare ribs, beef riblets, corned beef flat, pork loin, pork shoulder(cut up). The smoker is not tilted as depicted in this photo. I don’t really know if “riblets” is the correct name, forgot to check the package before tossing.

Adding more wood (ie Adams “Action Shot”)

Probes 1, 2, and 4 are actually cooking grate left edge, cooking grate right, and inside pork loin respectively. Holding temps rather evenly. Ambient temp 52 degrees.

Second peek, about to mop/sop.

New to me, this pork loin was smoked with Oakridge original beef and pork rub. There is so much flavor in the rub, it sort of becomes the star of the show.. Think I might brine a loin using this rub next time, or maybe rub it on a butt.

Here we have beef riblets, pork shoulder pieces, and drumsticks that were put on after loin came off earlier.

And finally, pork ribs and corned beef.

Last of the pron.

Pork shoulder sliced, beef riblets and sliced loin in front.

Corned beef. This was my first time to smoke corned beef and also successfully cook a flat of any variety. It was not pastrami, but we still liked it. After soaking 8 hours and two water changes, rubbed it with my standard bbq rub sans salt.

Ended up not cutting the pork ribs. I was stuffed by this point.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks, learned a few things about my smoker and identified some repairs to make. Sorry so long post.

Last edited:
What! Is that all you can fit on there?:laugh:
Everything looks great! You had enough food there for a small bash.

What! Is that all you can fit on there?:laugh:
Everything looks great! You had enough food there for a small bash.

A New England Bash would/could be a lot of fun. Need to utilize search function and look into past Bashes.

I've gone back and forth on adding a 2nd shelf. Biggest impediment is need. Personal cooking has not exceeded space available on offset. Just need a good reason to add it and also a bigger/insulated fire box.

I've gone back and forth on adding a 2nd shelf. Biggest impediment is need. Personal cooking has not exceeded space available on offset. Just need a good reason to add it and also a bigger/insulated fire box.

That should put a dent in your freezer space. Maybe just look on FB marketplace or Craig's for an entire new used cooker to get acquainted with that has 2 racks and a bigger fire box. Could be a fun hunt. Could be fun modding that one too if you weld.

Food looked great, nice variety.

That should put a dent in your freezer space. Maybe just look on FB marketplace or Craig's for an entire new used cooker to get acquainted with that has 2 racks and a bigger fire box. Could be a fun hunt. Could be fun modding that one too if you weld.

Food looked great, nice variety.

Good idea re Craigs.

I'm definitely not a welder, but did manage to use a 90amp Harbor Freight mig welder to piece this one together. A friend with a larger welder and tons of experience attached the FB to cooking chamber. It was a lot of work and I'm surprised it has stayed together this long (since 2008).

Thanks.

Back