Results may vary

joeljenewein

Name or Nickame
Joel
Hey Brethren - I picked up a new to me Shirley trailer model a couple weeks ago. The day after I brought it home I did the biggest cook I'd ever done, two briskets, three racks of ribs and pork belly burnt ends (I upgraded from a traeger that could fit one brisket so this was a big cook for me) The first cook was awesome. Everything came out good and I knew where I needed to make improvements, so this past weekend I was ready to go again. One brisket, three racks of ribs, two pork butts and pork belly burnt ends.

This time, everything was dry, and I do mean the Mojave dry, so I'm wondering what could have gone wrong, and am asking you gents for help as this is only my third cook on an offset stick burner. Everything had been bought a week before and frozen. I forgot to pull it out earlier in the week to start defrosting so I pulled it out and left it in a plastic tub in the garage to defrost the day before (I believe this is a contributing factor but don't want to blame it all on this because I feel like that's a scapegoat). The night before I seasoned the pork butt and brisket and put them in the fridge in saran wrap so that they were ready to go in the pit at 5 am. The Shirley held around 250 for the entire cook (same as last time) and I've found thats right where it likes to stay. I wrapped the pork butt and brisket at about 6 hours and put the ribs on. About two hours later when i went to spritz the ribs, i happened to move the brisket and could feel through the butcher paper that it was too firm still, and I knew from that point this cook wasn't going to turn out as I wanted it to. I burned clean smoke for the vast majority of the cook, admittedly there were points where it wasn't as clean as I'd like due to my rookie status, but overall I'd say it was clean for the majority of the cook.

Suggestions? Should I add a water pan? I know thats like asking hot and fast vs low and slow or fat up vs fat down. Did defrosting in 16 hours screw me? Do I need to try and get the pit to a lower temp? Appreciate everyone's input.

Was the meat on the first cook previously frozen? Just looking for what was different. It's LA, so the temperature/humidity won't change much.

Never know, meat can be weird, but am interested in finding out if thawed meat can be tougher.

Cooked two brisket points yesterday on my WSM. The one that was .5-.7lbs heavier finished after 10 hours. The slightly smaller one took 11. It wasn't dry, but noticeably "not as moist" as the other.

Never know, meat can be weird, but am interested in finding out if thawed meat can be tougher.

Cooked two brisket points yesterday on my WSM. The one that was .5-.7lbs heavier finished after 10 hours. The slightly smaller one took 11. It wasn't dry, but noticeably "not as moist" as the other.

I promise you I want this to be the answer lol serving bad que was heart breaking, I'd love to blame the meat. But I feel like there may have been more to it.

Dry and tough = undercooked, dry and falling apart = overcooked

Based on your comment about the wrapped brisket feeling "firm", I'm guessing it was undercooked. 6 hours @ 250* seems like an early point to wrap as well, IMO. I'd get that cook temp up to more like 275-300*, it ought to run just fine there...mine did.

I cook previously frozen meat all the time. If you cook it properly, any difference caused by freezing should be negligible, assuming it was frozen properly, not freezer burned, etc.

How did you determine that the meat was "done"?

Dry and tough = undercooked, dry and falling apart = overcooked

Based on your comment about the wrapped brisket feeling "firm", I'm guessing it was undercooked. 6 hours @ 250* seems like an early point to wrap as well, IMO. I'd get that cook temp up to more like 275-300*, it ought to run just fine there...mine did.

I cook previously frozen meat all the time. If you cook it properly, any difference caused by freezing should be negligible, assuming it was frozen properly, not freezer burned, etc.

How did you determine that the meat was "done"?

Probe tested. Felt done to me and final temp was 201. Could also just need more experience probing brisket that's done properly. I am open to all possibilities at this point

Everything was dry and chewy? I would think it would nearly be impossible to undercook everything.

Edit: was the meat still cold after sitting overnight in the tub of water? I've never tried this before.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Everything was dry and chewy? I would think it would nearly be impossible to undercook everything.

Edit: was the meat still cold after sitting overnight in the tub of water? I've never tried this before.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It wasn't a tub of water - again could be where I screwed up - it was just at garage temperature. I was checking it hourly and once they weren't solid bricks but still cold I moved them to the fridge

That shouldn’t have mattered. Based on the data we have, my hypothesis is everything was undercooked. Yes it can happen. Ask me how I know.

Hard to believe that a dry PB wouldn't be undercooked?

201* on a brisket cooked at 250*, seems like it could be a little short too. But a dry brisket could just be a bad brisket, some old milk cows come out like that.

Don't give up, you will be your harshest critic!

That's probably a bit low to pull it for a cooking temp of 250*...even if you were cooking at 225* I would be surprised for a Boston butt to be where I want it to be at 195*. My guess is you're looking at somewhere between 200-205* before it'll pass the probe test. I probe pork butts just like I do briskets. Disregard internal temperature, acquire tender meats.

Back