Restaurant Depot Spare Ribs Question

bgross88

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
B
I owe a buddy a rib cook for helping me do some work on my deck. I decided to grab some spareribs from Restaurant Depot--price listed on line is $1.99/lb.

When I got there, I had someone help me get a case and open it. These were packed like the baby backs at Costco/Sam's. They looked decent, so I grabbed 2 packs and asked the guy if there were 2 racks in each pack---and he said yes.

When I got home and opened them, it appears that each package contains the trimmed rib tips and one rack of ribs. I couldn't tell that at the store, as they were packed tightly and appeared to be "okay". Just curious if this is how all their prepackaged ribs come? The ribs pictured on their website when I looked them up, were not the same ribs packaged ribs I bought--different label/different packaging.

Slightly annoyed, but not a big deal. But it's the 1st time I've bought ribs there, so curious what others with more experience shopping there have seen and want to know what to expect/look for in the future.

I have a few pics of what I think are the trimmed pieces, hopefully they come thru.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Ribs1.jpg
    Ribs1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 349
  • ribs2.jpg
    ribs2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 347
  • ribs3.jpg
    ribs3.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 344
  • Ribs4.jpg
    Ribs4.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 345
OUCH! I was thinking of going to RD here, but this makes me,think twice. I let my,Sam's membership lapse, I just couldn't justify the price/savings ratio and thought I could source meat at RD just as well. Your post makes me think otherwise.

I'll be interested in other Brethern's comments.

I haven't been to RD for a while but I never saw that! What did the case or label say?

I know certain RDs sell just rib tips, but haven't heard of a rack of ribs and then separated tips in the same package. I'd love to just be able to buy rib tips since they are awesome and the flyers for those locations typically had just the tips (giggity) for $.99/lb.

My local grocery sells them that way. Saves me the work of seperating and I get a cooks snack on those tips! Understand that's not what you expected but I like tips.

Not RD but I have bought what I thought was two ribs together and it was the st Louis cut and the tips separated in the same pack.

OUCH! I was thinking of going to RD here, but this makes me,think twice. I let my,Sam's membership lapse, I just couldn't justify the price/savings ratio and thought I could source meat at RD just as well. Your post makes me think otherwise.

I'll be interested in other Brethern's comments.

We go to the OKC location frequently and have never had problems of this type with the pork ribs.

Our problem seems to be in trying to get short plate beef ribs; what they call short ribs are all of the flanken-cut style. Next time we want to cook a case of Korean ribs, we know where to go.

I haven't been to RD for a while but I never saw that! What did the case or label say?

Here's the label from the package. There were no individual cryopacs on the shelves, so I had someone pull one down and open a new case. The RD label shown here was printed by the guy, so they knew the weight when I checked out.

From what I recall, the case had no brand name on it. It just said "medium pork spare ribs". I'm going to go back tomorrow and check the case.

The ribs pictured on the website for $1.99 are Prarie Fresh(I think.) The ones I bought are not those.

Attachments

• Ribs5.jpg
    Ribs5.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 289
Never seen that, usually whole spares aren't cut and come 1 per package. The St.louis cut ones are labeled "St.Louis" and come 2 per pack

Never saw that at RD's on Long Island. The cryo pac ribs usually have 2 full racks. The weight should have given it away. A full rack is about 5 pounds. The 2 pack at my RD is about 11 pounds.

I purchase the ribs from RD all the time, there are 2 kinds St Louis and The "Lite" kind. I think the difference is the number of bones on each slab but I've always been pleased with both.

What's up with that best before date? You just bought these right?

Yup, I buy RD ribs all the time. Packages are marked "St. Louis" and two racks to a package. Loin/back/baby back ribs are also clearly marked but I rarely buy them so I don't remember the exact labeling. Costco ribs also clearly market, but the St. Louis are three racks/package. Since I usually cook four racks, RD works out better for me.

What's up with that best before date? You just bought these right?

Yeah, honestly, I didn't notice it until I got home. Not really sure.

I'm looking at it as a lesson learned. For lack of a better term, these seemed to be "generic" ribs. I'll make sure I don't buy these again, and will stay with the well known names they carry.

Not a fan of RD ribs, at all. Go get them from a butcher. You will be way better off. I have found that they are hit and miss. The briskets are average as best as I can tell. At least at the RD in St. Louis.

Not a fan of RD ribs, at all. Go get them from a butcher. You will be way better off. I have found that they are hit and miss. The briskets are average as best as I can tell. At least at the RD in St. Louis.

I've found the same to be true at my RD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back