Remote thermometers...

Doug Crann

is one Smokin' Farker
Looking for one that is consistently accurate. Please, no Maverick suggestions. I have one, don't remember the model number. Tried to give it to a neighbor, he didn't want it. He eked it up, side by side with my ThermoWorks unit. One checkthe Maverick had one probe 3* higher than the ThermoWorks, other probe was 10* lower. Next check both Maverick probes were 55* higher than the ThermoWorks. Next check, dead even. Final check they were 70* lower than the ThermoWorks. Sorry, that is unusable for me. Couple it with the 2 units losing the connection every 15 minutes or so and, well...
So is there any other remote style bbq thermometer? Want to pull the dial thermometers out of my RF and just use a digital remote thermometer.....

Gosh, I've had good luck with the Mav 733. I don't count on it being as accurate as my thermo pen, however, so I set the alert for at least 5 degrees cooler than my target, and check in several places with my Thermopen.

Thermoworks puts out a remote thermo set, but Amazon had several unhappy reviews regarding the connectivity of the blue tooth aspect. I have no doubt Thermoworks is more accurate, but my method seems more than able to accommodate.

Theroworks makes the BlueTherm Duo which is very accurate, however your connectivity is limited by the limitations of your smartphone.

I had one but couldn't get the distance I wanted. Bluetooth is a funny thing, I couldn't get the BlueTherm Duo to connect at 150', yet my Bluetooth radios in my motorcycle helmets easily get 500' and beyond...

I just got a Tappecue and love it. It is a little pricey but I like the four probes and the wifi. I didn't want to spend another $200 for a wifi temp controller.

Thermoworks makes quality stuff.

I personally prefer my dials on my offet to digital. Just one less thing to worry about setting up. Is there a reason you dont like the dials.

I just use temp as a reference, with the stick burner i focus more on keeping a proper bed of embers to ignite the next split.

Theroworks makes the BlueTherm Duo which is very accurate, however your connectivity is limited by the limitations of your smartphone.

I had one but couldn't get the distance I wanted. Bluetooth is a funny thing, I couldn't get the BlueTherm Duo to connect at 150', yet my Bluetooth radios in my motorcycle helmets easily get 500' and beyond...

Thanks for the name of it the Thermoworks unit. I have never looked thru their whole site. Never use my laptop and there site is painfully slow on my smart phone for some reason. Interesting about the Bluetooth troubles. Its short range will not be a problem...more on this below

I just got a Tappecue and love it. It is a little pricey but I like the four probes and the wifi. I didn't want to spend another $200 for a wifi temp controller.

I have seen this some place. I ordered an Auber controller to replace the pile-o-crap DigiQDX2 that I have. Long story but I had a horrible experience with BBQ GURU....a true customer service nightmare. Not to mention it reads 30-40* low on occasion. The AUBER uses a K type probe, the same type used by Thermoworks. I have several of these probes and ordered a couple with the AUBER.

Thermoworks makes quality stuff.

I personally prefer my dials on my offet to digital. Just one less thing to worry about setting up. Is there a reason you dont like the dials.

I just use temp as a reference, with the stick burner i focus more on keeping a proper bed of embers to ignite the next split.

Long story....if larger logs are used in my RF the temperature sky rockets. If I try to control it by shutting the air intakes down it just billows heavy smoke. While my thermometers are only an inch or so above my grate they read 30* hotter than the grate. This is not really a problem as I pay very little attention to the thermometers.....other than the one furthest away from the firebox...I use this one as the indicator to when I need to add some wood. If I use a remote thermometer, with the probe placed on the side opposite the firebox I wont have to run outside to constantly check on it. I understand that I should be able to judge this simply by watching the clock but.....

For some reason I can not get a good bed of coals in my firebox. Have had folks suggest the wood is to wet....the wood is to dry....along with a few other reasons that I can't think of right now. If my moisture meter probes are pushed in deeply the moisture content is in the 12-14% area. If they are pushed in halfheartedly it is closer to 0. If 2 pieces are wood are hit together I get a dull thunk.

Blah blah blah....:biggrin1:....really just want a remote thermometer for the convenience of it...

just curious but when you are placing your logs in the fire box what are they laying on when trying to get a bed of coals ? is it lifted to get air underneath ? and my basket is kind of a cross weaved with mesh and keeps the coals in the basket and it hardly get even ashes dropping below in the firebox floor .

just curious but when you are placing your logs in the fire box what are they laying on when trying to get a bed of coals ? is it lifted to get air underneath ? and my basket is kind of a cross weaved with mesh and keeps the coals in the basket and it hardly get even ashes dropping below in the firebox floor .
I found a grate of some sorts to use as the fire grate. The spacing of it is a bit to wide, when using briquettes to get it going they fell thru. Cut a piece of expanded metal to lay on top of it.

I do have some questions for you, you answered another one of my threads. Just never seem to ask them. When I have time, like tonight my brain is a bit fuzzy...when I have my thoughts organized enough to ask them I never have the time.....:crazy:

It is elevated some. I do have an ash pan underneath it, but the front of it is short enough to not block the air flow. My air intakes are not on the bottom of the firebox. I mounted them so that the fire grate is right about in the middle of the vents...if that makes sense...

Back