Ready for my “Ultimate Smoker” but need some help deciding

GrantMeThePower

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Grant
Hi guys,

Really pumped to have found this site!

I’ve been smoking meats as a hobby for about 15 years now. I started out on a SmokinTex electric smoker until it died, and then switched to a Grilla pellet smoker.

To me, pellet smokers are the perfect smoking solution. I don’t have the time or energy to patiently manage a stick burner through a 16 hour cook (though I deeply admire those that do).

What I’m still slightly unhappy about with my Grilla, though, are two things: 1. Cleaning it is a bit of a pain the way it is designed and 2. (And this one is MUCH more important) the temperature variance is killing me.

What I’m seeing is a delta between the front and the back of usually about 25 degrees...and the swings in any one spot can get to be like 75 degrees.

I’ve gotten a Thermoworks smoke and begun graphing the temps over time and putting the ambient probe in different places and have enough data now I realize that it is simply a design flaw of the smoker and limitation of the controller. It’s fine but I’m ready to step up. And that’s where hopefully you guys come in.

What I’m looking for:
1. A dedicated smoker. I do not care for grilling or need seating or direct heat at all.

2. Capacity- I do not need a large volume, competition sized smoker. At most, three butts or three racks of ribs. If it fit two briskets that’s a plus but that would be extremely rare.

3. Quality-I will pay for “the best” but I want it to hold up over time, have excellent temp control and uniformity, ease of cleaning, a well designed cover (it lives outside in the elements but in Southern California where the weather is relatively mild.)

Some of the models I’ve seen mentioned as “the best” don’t seem to fit my needs. Things like the FEC100 or MAK3 are much too big. I’m looking at the Pitts and Spitts, the Yoder line, the treager timberline...

I have a feeling that this is a niche within a niche-the very best dedicated smoker with no need for “grilling” where cost is no object but is not a large volume cooker for competition that keeps a relatively compact profile.

Would love to see what ya’ll think about this. Thanks!!

Mak 2 star would be my choice, maybe even 1 Star. I really like the looks of the Blazn too. I think the quality is right up there with anything but made in China but the Rec Tec 700 is a lot of grill for the money

In my opinion, your described need(s) just painted a portrait of the MAK 1 Star to a T. It is an AMAZING pellet smoker. Small footprint... perfect everyday smoker... yet a large capacity when you have the full upper grate in place (8 butts or 2 monster briskets or 6-8 racks or ribs laid flat). Extremely well built and smokes like a locomotive!

Capacity- I do not need a large volume, competition sized smoker. At most, three butts or three racks of ribs. If it fit two briskets that’s a plus but that would be extremely rare.

. . .

Things like the FEC100 or MAK3 are much too big.

Given what you’ve said about capacity, the MAK 3 Star is overkill. In the MAK line, you should looking at the 1 Star and the 2 Star.

Hi guys,

Really pumped to have found this site!

To me, pellet smokers are the perfect smoking solution. I don’t have the time or energy to patiently manage a stick burner through a 16 hour cook (though I deeply admire those that do).

16 hour cooks ? WTH.? :shock:

In my opinion, your described need(s) just painted a portrait of the MAK 1 Star to a T. It is an AMAZING pellet smoker. Small footprint... perfect everyday smoker... yet a large capacity when you have the full upper grate in place (8 butts or 2 monster briskets or 6-8 racks or ribs laid flat). Extremely well built and smokes like a locomotive!
That was also my interpretation. I can't complain about anything with mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well, I own a Yoder YS640 and love the thing.
It will hold a temp for hours and hours and hours with no intervention.
Its a snap to clean. Really, cleaning it couldn't be much easier.
If you get the heat diffuser option with the trap door, its eazy peazy.
On top of it all, its snazzy to look at too. The competition cart makes it easy to put it where you want and move it if you need to. Also puts it at just the right height.

You can cook a whole suckling pig, or, just knock out a single rack of ribs.
Since it heats so evenly, the extra space doesn't hurt at all.

I love the thing and so far have zero complaints
album.php

picture.php

album.php

this

Have you ever thought about a ceramic Kamado style smoker like an Egg or Kamado Joe? Or even an insulated vertical cabinet smoker might fit your needs.

I have an XL big green egg and with extra racks, you could get fit all you need in there for a cook.

Just a suggestion

I've got a Mak 1 Star I'm selling near the LA area if your interested. Holds temps great.

If I had to get a new pellet, it would be a MAK or Pitts and Spitts. But you should seriously look at a drum like my Hunsaker. Start to finish including starting the fire ribs are done in 2.5 hours hanging them at 300. 1.5 hours hanging, 30 min wrap. Blows away our pellet. I wanted to replace our GMG and instead added a drum. Fantastic investment. The drum is more versatile for flavor profiles. Lump or lump with wood. Over the coals or over the vortex diffuser. Brisket flats done in less than 5 hours. Consider adding a new cooking style. A new pellet grill won’t taste any much different.

Lone Star insulated cabinet smoker,,,,PeeWee, mini, or large. Dedicated smoker
A Pee Wee would do it for ya

Back