Rain rain go away! I wanna BBQ!

dbhost

Knows what a fatty is.
I am starting to feel like I live in Seattle or something... I mean all this rain. But I look around and I see the landmarks that remind me this is Texas!

So the weatherman, if he is to be trusted, says things will be good and dry this weekend after pretty much a solid week of rain.... Time to get to grilling and BBQing!

My plan, assuming my wife doesn't change it on me of course...

#1. Assemble, and first burn / smoke on my new Weber Jumbo Joe Premium 22". On that I am going to smoke 2 racks of ribs, a pork butt, and chicken wings.
#2.On the Smokey Joe Silver. We will be grilling...
5 lbs of pre marinated chicken fajita breast, 3 packs of Johnsonville Brats, 8 home made burger patties, and 4 Holmes Smokehouse Vennison Kielbasa sausages. Probably a couple of packs of hot dogs as well.

The idea here is to have one big cook and eat off of it for the rest of the week. We are pushing to go more paleo / low carb so this is really the way to do it.

I need ideas for Paleo friendly veggie sides. So no white starches, no dairy, and no preservatives... I've already got Pico De Gallo and spicy guacamole covered.

I don't have a veggie basket (yet) so I might have to do a foil roasting of various veggies. Not sure what works best though.

I should note there are no picky kids in the house, so no worries there, just my wife and I, and we regularly take meals up to her elderly father...

I mentioned your post to my wife and she has friends in your area who make their living as writers. They aren't leaving the house in those horrible conditions.
I've cooked for decades on a kettle, and a golf umbrella is all I ever needed in the rain. Heavy rain might cool the kettle a little, slowing down the cooking time.

One of these days I'm getting one of those offset patio umbrellas, but it's not pressing.

I am starting to feel like I live in Seattle or something... I mean all this rain. But I look around and I see the landmarks that remind me this is Texas!

So the weatherman, if he is to be trusted, says things will be good and dry this weekend after pretty much a solid week of rain.... Time to get to grilling and BBQing!

We needed the rain, bad. Was about to go into water restrictions. I'll take a week of rain.

I'm a fan of pan roasting broccoli tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper.

If you eat dairy, I like to heat up some olive oil in a non stick skillet, add some minced garlic and crushed red pepper until it is just fragrant and turn the heat to low. Add greens like kale or spinach and allow them to wilt. Turn the heat off and mix in some sour cream to make a light sauce to balance out the garlic and red peppers.

Last night, I roasted some rutabega seasoned with hot smoke paprika, cut into strips and served with a dip made from Mayonnaise, habanero hot sauce and a little old bay. Those were pretty tasty too.

Raining here in Spring, Texas (just north of Houston) I feel your pain.
The start of a chicken thigh cook last December.
picture.php

Yep, cooking up a bunch of meat works great for Paleo/Low Carb/Carnivore....

Roasting fresh green beans in the oven makes a great side. Put them in a zip loc, put in some olive oil and garlic, shake it up, put it out on a pan, bake until they get kinda crispy. Yum!

P.S. Over here on the west side in Katy, so I know about the rain this week. Let's get those smoke signals going this weekend!

Back