Question about vacuum sealers losing suction

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Yesterday I was at our local grocery store and saw they had "pork shoulder blade roasts" for $.99 / lb. The packages were cryo sealed and looked like they had two 7-8 lb. butts in each one. So I bought a few for the freezer.

Since I usually only need one butt at a time, I removed the cryo and repackaged the individual 7-8 lb. pieces into FoodSaver bags. In doing so I had to wipe down the area of the bag that I was sealing to remove the meat juices that got on the bag when I was sliding the meat into the bag. I think I did a pretty decent job but my vacuum seal was not as tight as it usually is. The seals looked solid, but there was still a little air in the bags when it stopped vacuuming.

I figure one of the following was happening:

1. My FoodSaver is losing suction generally and needs to be adjusted or replaced.

2. The liquid residue on the bags somehow prevented the sealer from sucking enough air out.

3. My FoodSaver itself got some meat juice inside the area where it holds the bags while sucking out the air, again preventing the sealer from doing its job completely.

I've never torn apart my Food Saver to see how the mechanism works. Any ideas of what might be going on and whether there is anything I can do to improve my sealing action?

You can damage the pump if it sucks in too much liquid. There is the paper towel trick where you put a rolled up paper towel on the sealing end, and it absorbs liquid during the vacuum process. For me, I just pre-chill whatever I vacuum seal in the freezer before vacuum sealing. This stops any juices from interfering with the vacuum or seal process. For things like soup or chili, I freeze portions in plastic containers for 4 or 5 hours, then pop them out and vacuum seal.

Thanks. I don’t let it suck any liquid into the pump if I can help it. I hit the “seal” button before it gets that far. But maybe that’s the problem - since there is liquid in the bag I’m trying to avoid getting into the pump I’m probably hitting the button too early. Sounds like I can just leave unsealed in the freezer for a couple of hours and the residual juices will have frozen and I can get a better seal. Thanks!

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
If you are using a FoodSaver machine they have a removable tray for liquid and knock on wood I’ve had no issue with sealing moist meats I just let it run its cycle and seals fine but I’m going to try thirdeyes suggestion next time.

I’ve had this problem with my food saver. If the meat is lower than the food saver (even resting on the counter) it can cause it to seal with air in the bag. Don’t ask me why. If you will prop the meat up on something so it is level or close to level with the food saver it will allow it to seal properly. I hope this makes sense. There are videos on YouTube that will demonstrate if not.

unplug it and turn it upside down and open the bottom door and I used a tooth brush and window cleaner and clean the flaps and the sealing strip . mine screwed up the other day and almost threw it away but is working fine now that I cleaned in there .

You could try wiping/drying the meat with a paper towel before sliding it into the bag. Part of the problem is that the vacuum channels cannot really be dried out if they get wet. If it were just water, the sealing heat might handle it but inevitably there will be some fat in the meat juice.

That said, when I had a FoodSaver I routinely made two seals because they were so unreliable. I have since switched to a Weston, which has a more sophisticated sealing process and a wider seal. It's still not perfect but is a huge improvement.

Ran into this problem last week it would just hum and hum but would not go into the high speed end of cycle finish draw before sealing. Did some research and problem was the gaskets had taken a set and took the bottom out and washed and let it dry. My model is low level Food Saver, the top gasket is glued in place and is no longer available that I could find. I did buy 2 new bottom foam gaskets.
Ed

My cure- wrap the meats in Costco plastic wrap first- seals the juices in so they don’t get into my foodsaver. Worst thing when using the product i foodsavered, trying to find the emd to take the wrap off.....

I still have my foodsaver even though I now own a vacmaster vp215 chamber sealer. I usually do 2 things, if the food is moist or has meat juices, I put the moist setting on, but if I forget, I usually will make sure everything is dry where I will make the seal.

Then:
1) I will vac seal, massage, the air out as it is removing it from the bag (helping it out basically), then it will seal.
2) I will leave it for 10 seconds then re-seal again over the original one
3) I will slide it out and re-seal for a second line

I had too many thing lose seal on me with my Foodsaver but I think it was the Foodsaver bags. Happens a lot less with the Weston brand bags but I was no longer going to take a chance.

Another trick that helps (at least us) is to fold the area you're going seal out before you fill the bag, then back again when you're ready to use the vac.

I guarantee the following will work if you have a Foodsaver:

Gently remove the felt like seals. Lightly moisten them and reinstall. That should do it.

I guarantee the following will work if you have a Foodsaver:

Gently remove the felt like seals. Lightly moisten them and reinstall. That should do it.

THIS IS CORRECT,
yet - I think the OP is referring to moisture from his meat being sucked into the seal, and prohibiting proper seal.

I use a lens cleaner on the seals
Mostly water, should be fine. Hey Mike, How much Overtime is your wife
working to get you that new Bass Rig? Good thing you didn't need the golf cleats (so she wouldn't slip) for her while she shoveled the driveway this winter....

now, she can use them to aerate the lawn.....

Last edited:
Mostly water, should be fine. Hey Mike, How much Overtime is your wife
working to get you that new Bass Rig? Good thing you didn't need the golf cleats (so she wouldn't slip) for her while she shoveled the driveway this winter....

now, she can use them to aerate the lawn.....

As soon as she gets finished cleaning the WSM, I'll ask her. :thumb:

Back