Question about rust

mradzicki

Found some matches.
Good day all,

I've read through several posts on here about removing rust from the inside of a cooker and how I should not paint, but season the hell out of the inside area to prevent the rust from coming back. Makes sense to me, but I have a question about how exactly to season a particular area of the pit.

The pit in question is a Klose Cooks and Chefs Combo Grill and Smoker. The rust is on the grill side, under the area where I would build the fire using coals. Would I just clean the rust, oil the area under the coals and start a low fire? Unfortunately I don't have any pix to post at the moment. I can get some later today if needed.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rust in the Fire box is perfectly normal Never season the INSIDEof a firebox A) because it farks up the fire and B) it won't last. all you can do is keep it clean & dry.

Yeah, the best thing to do in the firebox area is to keep it clean when not in use. Ash will become acidic if left for too long and when combined with any moisture.:-D

Rust in the Fire box is perfectly normal Never season the INSIDEof a firebox A) because it farks up the fire and B) it won't last. all you can do is keep it clean & dry.

Thanks for the reply. This isn't the firebox on the smoker. This particular piece of equipment has a smoker with an offset firebox on one side and a large charcoal grill on the other. My concern is the rust in the grill area.

Is my only option to remove the rust and keep it clean? My concern with doing that is that removing the rust will expose the bare metal and that might lead to other problems? Excuse the ignorance. I'm pretty good at cooking, but I am not so good with things like this. Trying to learn as much as possible.

- Mike R

It's perfectly fine to season with oil anywhere were there will be NO fire introduced. If the rusty area is near the fire area, just keep it clean and wire-brush it before use if food is coming in contact with the area in question.:wink:

Yeah, might spray it w/ Pam,
but better, season all the metal areas with chicken thighs, get ' em oiled up right.
No rust, no fuss. Scrape bits off the next time you smoke..

Back