Pulled Pork for Christmas

cueball21

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bob, aka, Uncle
Darling Daughter and SIL are both ER nurses in a trauma center. They will work 12-hour night shifts through the coming Christmas weekend; so, I'm preparing food for them and their coworkers at their hospital in Waco.

I have 2 boston butts on the Weber Performer cum smoker with a ring of KBB around my vortex with hickory chunks for smoke. The pork rub is dead common. As you know, it's hard to predict how long it will take to get pork butts cooked. I try to keep temps 225° and above 275° F and below throughout the cook. I've got to 195° IT for a single butt in as little as 10 hours and as many as 14. I figure 2 butts will take at least 14 hours and maybe longer. I hope to take them off before the wee small hours, wrap them in foil and beach towels and place them in an ice chest to rest overnight then pull the pork tomorrow and package it for delivery on Friday.

On a separate Weber OTG I have the beans going with a KBB ring and hickory chunks for smoke.

Beans:
2 28-oz cans of Bush's Original Recipe baked beans
1 cup black molasses
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 6" links of store brand (HEB) chorizo sliced to 1/8" thick rounds
6 strips of bacon

The beans are in an aluminum pan about 18 x 12 x 3 which was placed inside a like-sized pan for strength against the weight of the contents. I mixed the molasses and brown sugar into the beans thoroughly. Slices of chorizo were spread across the pan then pushed in to the center of the beans. Finally, bacon strips were placed across the pan. They were ready in about an hour and a half.

I make a Carolina-style BBQ sauce that starts with vinegar but has my own concoction of flavorings. I'll furnish a couple of pints of the sauce along with a couple of packages of large flour tortillas and a tray the same size as the beans of homemade slaw.

I did this over the 4th of July and it was a big hit with the staff. I hope it will be as well received this coming weekend.

That is so awesome. They will appreciate it more than you can possibly imagine. I'm doing the same thing for my wife (EMT). She got off for Thanksgiving but is stuck working all Christmas weekend. I'm cooking pulled pork for 25 (they actually asked her if I would cook for them)....and I couldn't be happier to do it considering what they'll have to put up with while the rest of us play....

Good job, Dan!

EMTs and ER nurses do wonderful things for a lot of people and don't always get the recognition the deserve.

It's fun cooking for a group that really appreciates it, isnt' it?

Good job, Dan!

EMTs and ER nurses do wonderful things for a lot of people and don't always get the recognition the deserve.

They work their tails off ALL THE TIME....and rarely if ever get recognition. Every day when she gets home I wait for her to start talking about it....then ask what was the craziest call of the shift. It's usually someone that's dead they bring back either with NARCAN (for heroin OD) or CPR for a cardiac, or someone jumping off a building (they usually die on impact). They (like the ER nurses) do their best to saves lives every day....yet the public rarely if ever hears about it.

I consider it an honor to cook for people like that....

I have never seen a tougher job than being a nurse at a trauma center.

Tell them thank you from an Iowa boy who has seen first hand their job. :)

Thanks to all the people who appreciate us.

Believe me from prior experience the ER staff will appreciate the food. For one it isn't the processed crud we always seem to have to grab on nights.

I'm an night ER nurse and now part time paramedic (20+ years). I will be working in the ER on Christmas eve and Day. For Christmas Eve I'm bringing Pulled pork, mac and cheese and baked beans. I was asked what I was doing for Christmas. My comment was "sleeping, someone else can cook.":mrgreen:

I furnished pulled pork with sauce for the nursing dinner Christmas party, (potluck) I Had to leave early but was told that people were taking the meat home. So no leftovers. I told them I just want my spoon back. I even put the sauce in an old ketchup bottle. The squirt bottle was 25 cents that the vinegar sauce was in.

Hey now! It's not just the ER nurses that save lives and go under appreciated..jk haha I'm a tele(cardiac) RN working the night shifts. I brought in two butts recently and everybody loved it. Friday, we're having a potluck and I plan on smoking a few racks of st louis ribs and maybe make a potato salad on the side.

We really do appreciate the thought and work that you're putting in to feeding them! Good job!

Congrats on your contribution to people who everyone counts on in their time of trouble. Oh yeah, good call on the Carolina vinegar sauce.

Back