THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CambuiAl

Knows what a fatty is.
Yesterday I made some smoked celery salt for seasoning Beef and cooked some Pork ribs. Brazilians consume huge amounts of salt, and it's almost the only seasoning they would use on Beef for a BBQ, so having made some celery salt in the past, I thought I would try and make some smoked, seasoned celery salt for future Beef cooks.

My idea was simple - soak 1KG of rock salt in a blended mix of red wine, garlic and mustard powder, mix it well with the salt and then dry it out on a stone pizza base in the UDS where I hoped it would absorb some good smoke flavour. Seeing as the drum was going to be on (who needs an excuse?) I did some Pork ribs after. There are not many ready made rubs here in Brazil, so I make my own dry Pork rub from a mix of mustard powder, Smoked Paprika, Habanero and Chipotle peppers (dried) and onion and garlic flakes, salt and a little brown sugar. I run the whole lot through a blender to powder it, and it works well!

The salt on the Pizza Stone in the drum:
2ut5lcp.jpg

Smoking nicely!
ay5cp1.jpg

The dry product - it formed into a hard cake of salt that I had to break up in the blender again, before mixing with the dried celery leaves:
2lwonmg.jpg

The ribs, rubbed and ready to go in.
25t92tl.jpg

They stayed in for about 2.5 hours at 280F and then I glazed with some honey and left for another hour. I like them soft, and these fell off the bone how I like them.
30m1y52.jpg

2e1ziaq.jpg

2rwm8sk.jpg

She didn't get any!
2edtnx2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Back