Problem with Guru on my Backwoods

georgiasmoke

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
My guru has been running for about 30 mins so far, I let the pit get up to 175 or so then closed the intake off and set my guru for 275 and now it's cycling on and off and the temp according to the guru hasn't risen above 270. What's the deal?? Also, even though the guru says the temp is 270, my Tel-Tru says 280 and the probe is on the middle rack almost where the Tel-Tru is mounted. So which do I trust?

I would say your guru is slowing down so it doesn't overshoot your desired set temp of 275. These insulated cabinet smokers take 30-60mins to get up to temp depending on your brand, if you have water in the water pan if applicable, if you pre-heat with a weed burner or don't, etc. you'll never find two thermometers, especially one analog and one digital that read the exact same. Just pick one and use it or split the difference. Good luck

The tel-tru is closer to the edge as well as near the center shelf. They may bot in fact be reading accurately. Make sure your guru probe is at least 1" away from the meat (or further) so the meat temperature does not effect the temperature readings of the probe.

As far as cycling on and off that is normal, but I wait until the pit is within 25 degrees of the target temperature before powering up the guru because it has an anticipatory algorithm. Power the guru down for 15 seconds and power back up, this will clear the anticipatory reaction data and start fresh as if it were a new cook.

Check your guru fan air outlet, there is a slide type shutter at the neck of the fan that restricts air flow volume from the fan. My pit works best with no air restrictions. I have seen other posts where some with smaller pits have to have some air restriction.

Last edited:
Be thankful it isn't a Flameboss. It is supposed to "learn" how to control the temperature of the pit. They told me it will take an hour or two. Have been using it for at least 6 weeks and it still has not figured out how to hit the set temperature. Used it on our Large BGE yesterday. It thinks 255* is 225*. The meat probe is weird as well. Thermoworks said meat was at 65*, Flameboss said it was at 80*. As the meat warmed up the split reduced. Once the meat was at 125* or so, on the Thermoworks, the Flameboss read the same.

Back