Prime Rib Wrap in Butcher Paper

palmtreefrb

is one Smokin' Farker
Asking for a friend. His wife can't handle over smoked. He has a pellet smoker. I suggested he might try wrapping in butcher paper after three hours of smoke. Or use a lighter wood like cherry. Anybody have some advice on this?

I wouldn't wrap a Prime Rib unless you want it overcooked. I love smoke, but for Prime Rib I want 100% unadulterated beef flavor with a savory Au Jus and Horseradish Cream Sauce. Smoke adds a layer of distraction that I don't think improves it. So, it's one of the few cuts of beef that get slow roasted in the Oven.

I have never heard of anyone wrapping a prime rib. Not saying it won't work, just never heard of it. If his wife cannot tolerate smoke, then I suggest cooking in the oven. I like the low and slow of 225. I have never tried the 500 degree oven @5 minutes per pound , then shut oven off and wait 2 hours, but a lot of people, including my SIL, swear by that method.

Merry Christmas.

Robert

I recently did a bone in 13 lb prime rib in my LSG 42" offset with Oak and Cherry. No wrap, and everyone loved it. Not overpowering smoke flavor. I wouldn't worry about wrapping.

I also did a 13 lb prime, last night with Bourbon Barrel pellets. No one complained about smoke. Anyway - put the prime in a turkey rack over an aluminum half pan, and tent the prime rib so you don't lose all the seasoning. You should only get a hint of smoke, whatever can find its way through the tent, but you'd still want to uncover it toward the end to give it color. As others have mentioned higher temps have less smoke, and toward the end of the cook the meat shouldn't be absorbing much smoke. We did crushed garlic, basil, oil, salt, adobo seasoning.

What kind of wood? I'm not a pellet head, but my wife doesn't like hickory smoke on meats, gets too bitter.

Which is great because 90% of our backyard is hickory trees . . . :doh:

This is why I like a reverse sear for a rib roast - smoke to 115 - 120 IT, pull, and let it rest covered for about 20 minutes.

While it's resting, get a hot bed of coals ready on another grill if you have it. Sear the roast a minute or so a side on all sides to a good color.

Done right, it's end to end perfection - no over smoking, no over cooking from end to end, and a great seared bark. :-D

fvCcJMzh.jpg

This is why I like a reverse sear for a rib roast - smoke to 115 - 120 IT, pull, and let it rest covered for about 20 minutes.

While it's resting, get a hot bed of coals ready on another grill if you have it. Sear the roast a minute or so a side on all sides to a good color.

Done right, it's end to end perfection - no over smoking, no over cooking from end to end, and a great seared bark. :-D

fvCcJMzh.jpg

Simply perfection on a plate there.

Merry Christmas.

Robert

Back