Positioning an offset for wind direction

JAKs Q & brew

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jonah
Should I take into account the typical wind direction when planning where to put my offset?

I get a pretty good amount of wind at my house from the same direction most of the time. Does it make a difference if the wind is blowing into the firebox?

With a well designed offset the wind direction really shouldn't matter. On the other hand a poorly designed / fabricated offset will definitely need the wind to blow directly into the firebox to get a good draft.

Imagine asking this question without telling us which offset you are using. Its almost like 10 years on this forum taught us nothing.

Imagine asking this question without telling us which offset you are using. Its almost like 10 years on this forum taught us nothing.

Ha, my bad. It's been a long week.

I'm waiting on a FatStack 90 gallon direct flow offset. I still got a while to wait, but I need to pick where I want to pour the new slab and the 2 spots would have it facing in opposite directions.

Ha, my bad. It's been a long week.

I'm waiting on a FatStack 90 gallon direct flow offset. I still got a while to wait, but I need to pick where I want to pour the new slab and the 2 spots would have it facing in opposite directions.

My Shirley Fab smoker faces in the same direction every time I use it, basically E/W with firebox on the West end. I never notice any difference in performance regardless of the wind direction during a Cook.
The FatStack's are well designed.....pick the direction that you want and start working on the slab. Post pics of Cooker and Slab when you have both in place and Enjoy.

I’d design the space so you can move the cooker in any direction to solve for the wind.

Like Mike said, it will invariably blow in the opposite direction of what you want.

I agree with SkaterSmoker that you don't generally want the wind to blow in the direction of the intake to the firebox with an offset, particularly if the smoker already has good/strong draw. My Shirley 94 is virtually the same as SkaterSmoker's Workhorse 1975-it draws like a freight train as it is. But that said, I would never go to the lengths he has to prevent it. On mine, simply closing the air intake on the firebox a bit more and damping the stack a bit more is all that is needed to restore the smoker to "normal" cooking. If you make no adjustment you are likely to experience hotter temps and faster burns (needing more frequent feeding of the fire). It's not rocket science. A direct flow offset works similar to a carburetor. Shooting air into the firebox vent would be tantamount to a turbocharger.

As soon as ya fire up fer a big cook the wind will blow right in the firebox. It's a paradox, much like how in construction the least skilled, lowest paid, and saddled expertly with shoddy work ethic are without fail are always right.

Those cookers are nice, enjoy yers.

-D

Back