Pork Tenderloin sliders?

rdstoll

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey All -

Am zeroing in on doing some pork tenderloin sliders for my daughter's birthday party this coming weekend.

There are a couple of recipes here on the site and some on the internet I'm just trying to get a couple of ideas.

Is it better to smoke these tenderloins whole vs. cutting them up into medallions and throwing them on the grill? A lot of recipes seem to call for cutting them up, hammering them down to size and then grilling them but I feel like smoking them whole would be better as you'd have more control over the finishing temp vs. getting distracted while grilling medallions.

Would there be any problem with injecting whole tenderloins with Butcher BBQ pork injection? I don't see why but since it's such a lean cut of meat and I've never smoked them before just thought I'd ask.

If I do them whole, is the idea to smoke them to ~145-150* IT, let them rest a bit and then slice 'em?

I'd smoke them whole and then slice thin for the sandwiches. Handled a few larger pieces is better that messing with a whole bunch of smaller pieces.

Also, I'd smoke them to 120-ish and then sear on a hot grill and finish at 140. Carry over will take them to 145 when they rest.

I love sliced tenderloin for sammies. When the FDA lowered it's temp guidelines people think anything over 145* starts drying them out... horse hockey I've had them up 175* and juicy beyond belief. If you pull them 145-150 and rest it's all good! Some people and I am one of them like the consistency of 150* or plus vs the 145* with a little of the pink.

I've had stellar results by just using a rub and grilling indirect with some apple chunks for smoke. I cook until the internal is 135 or so then put them over the hot coals for the sear. After the sear the internal is usually 145-150. I let them rest for 10-15 minutes and slice them about 3/8" to 1/2" thick. On a plate these medallions cut with a fork. I know they would be off the hook good on some King's Hawaiian rolls. Below is a recent cook I did with tenderloin.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232785

Thanks for the tips...

Is there any downside to injecting these things? I may not do that given this is a b-day party and I don't want to get too crazy about it but I'm just wondering.

Thanks for the tips...

Is there any downside to injecting these things? I may not do that given this is a b-day party and I don't want to get too crazy about it but I'm just wondering.

The only downside I could think of would be that injecting a tender succulent piece of meat would be a waste of time but that's just me.

If you don't want them all juiced up, don't inject & follow the general cooking tips above which are right on .......always inject here, a common appetizer item.....

1-13-2013PTender028.jpg

1-13-2013PTender020.jpg

1-13-2013PTender019.jpg

I will post pictures when I do the big cook this coming Saturday but I did a test run on two pork tenderloins last night and they really turned out great. Rubbed down with Eat Barbeque Zero to Hero and Victory Lane Sweet Peach and was very tasty. Put on Hawaiian sweet rolls and drizzled with sauce.

I'm looking for a good slaw recipe that could go on these sandwiches. Have found a few online that I can choose from. Some seem to be on the spicier side of things and I have kids to feed so am looking for something more straightforward.

Anyway, thanks for the tips on the 'loins. Were done in less than an hour at 325* so that makes this birthday cook a lot easier.

Here ya go....winner winner pork slider dinner!

Mexican Style Pork Tenderloin Sliders with Apple Chipotle Slaw

[ame]https://youtu.be/dORfCxYWAXA?t=31s[/ame]

Instead of injecting I would brine them...
Instead of smoking them I would sear first and then grill indirect...

Best I have had were brined, sliced, and cooked around the Vortex...

Whatever you choose it will be great I'm sure...

Instead of injecting I would brine them...
Instead of smoking them I would sear first and then grill indirect...

Best I have had were brined, sliced, and cooked around the Vortex...

Whatever you choose it will be great I'm sure...

I smoked to 135* internal temp then seared them up to 150*. Rest, slice, and enjoy. Turned out good. I'll have to test brining but I'm trying to keep this as simple and straight-forward as possible given it's a birthday party.

Back