Pork Steaks & Purple Hull Peas

OSD

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Jim
Tonight's dinner was grilled pork steaks slathered with several layers of spiced up sauce and a small pot of seasoned purple hull peas.

Pork steak ready to eat

Purple hull peas seasoned with spices,bacon, onion, and garlic

Thanks for lookin'

That looks tasty, those peas, Beans?look very interesting

• Thanks
Reactions: OSD
That looks tasty, those peas, Beans?look very interesting

In the same family as Black-eyed peas. They tend to have a creamier taste to them.
I have eaten them since I was a kid. GrandMa always made them.

I grew up calling those Black-eyed peas. By any name, they look good, so does that pork steak.

• Thanks
Looks great! I had never heard of purple hulled peas, black eyed peas yes, but interesting to know that there are variations.

• Thanks
I grew up calling those Black-eyed peas. By any name, they look good, so does that pork steak.

They are in the same family. Black-eyed peas and Purple hull peas (Vigna unguiculata) are a variety of the cowpea and are part of the family of beans & peas (Leguminosae or Fabaceae in the USA). Although called a pea, it is actually a bean.

The pork steak looks tasty, but those peas! Thanks for helping me figure out the menu for Sunday!

• Thanks
I've got a 24x12 purple hull pea patch and the plants are just starting to form pods. I'm looking forward to the first batch of peas. Pork steaks might be on the plate as well. Yours look very good.

• Thanks
Our family loves field peas and cow peas. Cow peas are great for small gardens and are prolific producers around here. We have plenty of them out of this summer's garden efforts...now I need to round up some pork steaks!

• Thanks
Back