THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SkipB

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Skip
I was told that this was a better forum to be asking this question. This has to do with sausage making and I want my sausages to have about 25% fat content, but I don't know if the shoulder fat cap is included when using pork shoulder. I guess I'm asking should I trim that fat cap off or include that in the sausage? Guessing a fat percentage of a piece of meat appears to be more art than science.

In my opinion its not included. Most grocery stores take it off and sell it as trimmings for rendering. Pretty sure without it, a shoulder is 80/20. That said, one time i grinded a whole pork butt fat cap and all and it was way too much fat, couldn't even see meat in the sausage casing was almost all white.

When I was in High School, I worked as a Butcher in a family owned Grocery Store. We made the bulk sausage for a local Restaurant, about 100# a week. I would start with a case of Boston Butts, about 60#, slice them about 1” thick, bone them and cut the meat for grinding as I went. We never trimmed fat and sometimes added it. Pork now is leaner than it was 50+ years ago. Hope this helps.

Pork butt quality is all over the map depending on your source(s) some butts are heavily marbled some are leaner, so to me each shoulder is addressed differently. In a well marbled shoulder I would trim the fat cap and save it for other leaner meats I may grind, if it’s a leaner shoulder I leave the fat cap. The picnic is leaner than the butt still makes great sausage though and a good place to use any fat cap you have trimmed.

When I break a butt down for grinding, I will keep some of the hard fat and cut it into strips about 1/2" wide. Then I chill cubes or strips of meat and the fat. As I move into leaner meat from the center muscles, I'll add a couple of strips of the fat.

Back