Pork chops?

McSpazatron

is one Smokin' Farker
When I was buying some steak for the family a few nights ago, I spied some nice looking center cut bonless pork chops. They kind of looked like they would be the eye of a rib eye. They looked nice and thick, but lean as to be expected. I decided I would be trying pork that night just to mix things up.

I marinated them for 30 min in some oil, salt, vinegar, and adobo (penzys no salt variety). Then I cooked indirect until 130, and gave them a good sear. Pulled at 145 IT. First time Ive eaten pork cooked to that temp, but all the cool kids say that is a safe temp nowadays for pork cuts.

Let me tell you, it was delicious! Who knew? Texture was a smidge firmer that a medium-well rib eye steak. No pink in the middle, which is fine by me (not psychologically ready for pink with pork). The flavor was all in the marinade, but it took it up well in the short 30 min bath it got. I grew up with thin cut fried pork chops, cooked until hard. So this was a revelation.

Im going to try it again soon, but maybe the chop with the bone and the other muscles attached (whatever that one is called). We will see...

Ive seen pork chops that structurally look like t-bones, and some that look like bone in rib eyes? Anybody know if they are all good to cook to 145?

I get the cheap assorted chops cut 1.5" or sometimes 2". Coat them with PlowBoys Yardbird pretty heavily and grill direct over coals till 145-150* and they are TASTY.

The center cut loin chops are lean and can get tough if you overshoot the temperature, so they are best when slightly pink and juicy.

I also get the cheaper assorted bone-in chops, they have more fat and have a better flavor in my opinion.

The center cut loin chops are lean and can get tough if you overshoot the temperature, so they are best when slightly pink and juicy.

I also get the cheaper assorted bone-in chops, they have more fat and have a better flavor in my opinion.

I agree. The bone in chops are also a bit more forgiving to cook.

Just snagged 5 of the T-bone looking ones. Nice and thick ones too. The Weber is working on clearing the start up smoke as I type. Hickory chips are on standby. The thermapen is holstered. Glass of Buffalo Trace in hand. Im ready and hungry!

If anyone thinks Im making a mistake with hickory, let me know. Have apple and cherry at the ready if need be.

yy7PzhJ.jpg

I like to brine mine also. Sometimes, if a pork chop gets too far gone it will be very dry. The brine helps with this. IMO, if you're going to rub or sauce a pork chop, I would keep the brine simple. I use 1 Tbs sugar, 3Tbs salt, 3Cups water. Put the salt into a bowl, add 1 cup hot water and whisk until all is desolated. Then add 2 cups tap water to cool. I pour the liquid into a 1 gallon zip lock bag. Put on 4 pork chops and make sure all are covered. Place the bag in a glass dish and into the fridge. Turn the bag after an hour and leave 1 more hour. This is for 4 chops at 1" hick, but is an easy recipe to adjust for your quantity and thickness.

Good luck, this brine is great for chops, pork loin or ham.

Not too long ago for me. Unfortunately I over did them. Tried with my new grill to reverse sear but I lost that fight. Got these porcelain grill grates that block too much heat imo. Might try the cheapo thin stainless next time!
806f7c5efefd3dde5e562ba008c1645c.jpg

Twas good!!! It sure ate like a ribeye at this temp. Managed to get them all within a few degrees of 145. Only a smidge of pink was noticeable. Surprised that it didnt seem to take as much smokiness as beef does. Im imagining that is due to lack of fat. Im glad I found something new to me to put into the rotation! Cheaper than steak too!

Last edited:
I'll agree, they look fantastic.
Next you need to get a 'shoulder steak' which is
just a slice of Pork Butt - cooks different than these chops, but oh so good.

The USDA has blessed Pork cooked to 145 degree's internal as "safe" for some time now. When was the last time you heard of a Trichinosis case? Freezing Pork for 30 days will also kill Trichinosis, so a little pink won't hurt you. As mentioned before, brining really works well with pork chops and I use a ratio of 1/2 cup Kosher salt to 1/2 gallon water with whatever aromatics you like added in.

Some people will even go mid-rare with Pork Chops, but for me it's more of a texture issue than a food safety issue. I have no problem with a warm pink center in a quality chop, but any less than that and I just don't like the texture.

My mother was in the "Cook Pork until it's beyond well done" camp, and I grew up thinking pork was supposed to be grey and dry when cooked properly.

I cooked the same kind of pork chops last night,took them to 150 IT they turned out really good. The wife doesn't really like chops,but I saw them at Kroger the other day and they looked too good to resist. At supper the wife said she definitely wanted them again,they were excellent. By the way I marinated them in Moore's marinate and cooked them on my gasser along with corn on the cob and fried squash cooked on the side burner. I really like cooking the whole meal on the grill! By the way your chops look great.

Back