pork Butt vs. pork Shoulder

erigney

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
I have brisket and ribs down and because of this my daughter wants me to do the meat for her wedding in October, 40 guests. As mentioned I have no problem with brisket but she wants, in addition to that, pulled pork. I am assuming it is basically the same cooking wise, 250-275, +/-1 hour per pound. But does it make a difference if I use Butt or Shoulder? If preference what is the consensus?

I smoke on a Lang offset reverse flow smoker (love it). Typically use mesquite, pecan, hickory, and post oak.

I am also looking for some good pulled pork recipes but although I have been a member here for some time I have not posted much. And without posts I cannot view the recipes. But first things first, Butt or Shoulder?

I've read that the pork butt is from the shoulder and the pork shoulder is from the butt. However, what you say makes sense...I was in Costco today and looking at their selection, the pricing labels said, "Pork Shoulder", but the label on the plastic wrapping said Pork Butt.

So maybe the question should be bone in or bone out? Again, maybe preference because if I smoke it 8-12 hours it should be tender either way.

Pork butt is part of the whole pork shoulder. Whole shoulders are very large cuts, butts come in smaller sizes, you could throw a couple of 7-9 pounders in your Lang with your brisket. You can get Butts either bone in or boneless. Very forgiving, you should be fine doing it for a wedding, even if you haven't done one before. I get great results using Chris Lilly's rub recipe in his first book, but I'm sure there are a ton of good recipes you can find.

To be specific, the whole shoulder consists of two parts. The top part is the Boston butt and the lower part is the picnic. Most folks cook the butt. It has more flavor and less fat. It will depend on how much meat you need. Some folks cook the whole shoulder for more volume. I prefer to cook two butts. Just like the way it works up.

Good luck and good smoking, Joe.

I believe "Butt" is a colonial term and that was where the pork shoulders were stored on a ship. It is some kind of barrel. So, that's where the name pork Butt originated.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

:thumb:..
I believe "Butt" is a colonial term and that was where the pork shoulders were stored on a ship. It is some kind of barrel. So, that's where the name pork Butt originated.

To be specific, the whole shoulder consists of two parts. The top part is the Boston butt and the lower part is the picnic. Most folks cook the butt. It has more flavor and less fat. It will depend on how much meat you need. Some folks cook the whole shoulder for more volume. I prefer to cook two butts. Just like the way it works up.

Good luck and good smoking, Joe.

I must take issue with your statement that the butt has more flavor than the picnic. In my experience, picnics are more flavorful, as the spices and smoke seem to penetrate deeper. Butts have a much greater yield of usable meat, but the best pulled pork I have ever made have been picnics.

A whole shoulder contains the butt and the picnic roasts. If you can find a whole shoulder give one a try, they are from 16 to 22 pounds and a great cook... the best of both worlds. A picture is worth a thousand words.

7rIKA.jpg

Everyone that has said the whole shoulder consists of both the butt & the picnic are absolutely correct.

Personally, I would just cook two butts (8-10# each) simply because I foresee them being easier for you to procure than a whole shoulder. Now if you can get a big shoulder, then go ahead...I wouldn't hesitate. But...butts abound. They are everywhere & easy to come by.

Back