Pork butt Monday

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Hey you with the face!
Well since things didnt work out with the new job. Changed the schedule on day 1 and it was unworkable for taking care of my kids. I got free time. Pumped out apps to every job I could and now well its a waiting game. So I might as well quit worrying and let some smoke clear my mind. Check the want ads in the afternoon.

On to the more interesting details. I got a butt in the fridge needs smoked. Going to fire up the 270 Sumo. I think apple wood for smoke is a good choice. I got alot of apple. Cherry is my favorite. I got part of a bag left. Going to save it for a rainy day.
Got only a couple beers left.
I think I might have some pie filling and stuff to make a crust. So maybe pie if I can find the can of filling.

So pulled pork, beer, and pie. Maybe I can bake up some fresh buns. Hopefully can get a job soon but for now going to clear my head with pork, smoke, pie, and a beer.

Pork butt is on the Sumo. Using Killer Hoggz The BBQ Rub and Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head. Using a modified version Smoking Hoggz pork injection.

Interesting loaded briquettes in the 270 as I have alot of them. Just thought I would see how she handles briquettes. So far the firebox is full after 4 hours. Barely used anything. We will see how long until the temp drops and it needs refueled. It is running cooler vs using lump but just a little bit below 250. It is settled pretty good into temp though. Interesting. It feels good to be experimenting.

I wish you success with the job hunt. Does using cherry give you a darker color, I’ve quit using it for smoke on ribs. Waiting for pRoN
It gives me a nice red. I rely less on rub for color and more on the smoke.
I love straight cherry wood but its apple today.

You only notice what cherry does if you go light on rub and can still see the meat. I used more rub today as I am saving cherry wood in case being unemployed goes on for awhile.

Back